The End of Zimbra

General discussion about Zimbra Desktop.
Phloyd

The End of Zimbra

Post by Phloyd »

I can see it already just by looking at the forums. Then I looked at their Wikipedia Page: (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telligent_Systems)
Telligent's products are built on the Microsoft .NET and Microsoft SQL Server platform. They are primarily used as on-premise, white label software solutions.
Nope. I'm outta here.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

The End of Zimbra

Post by phoenix »

That's just the (former Telligent) platform for their "Community" software, Zimbra Collaboration Server is still the same great email and collaboration product it's always been with the very same, very talented developers and support and none of that will be changing (except lots of new exciting features) - don't confuse the two products.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
pbrunnen
Advanced member
Advanced member

The End of Zimbra

Post by pbrunnen »

Hi Phloyd,
I wouldn't run away just yet. -- Certainly I am very nervous too.
Their existing devs might be a plus for ZCO, but lets hope they have some good Linux devs onboard to keep core dev running smoothly.

I don't see how they could easily move the core over to a MS server back-end, so I don't see that happening anytime soon.

...But if they try, that will certainly send me running back to Domino Notes again. There isn't enough money in the world to make me consider running a public facing production server with MS-anything on it. I like my sanity...

-Cheers, Peter.

EDIT:
I just saw phoenix2's post while I was writing mine...  So that is good news that they are keeping the same Dev team.   Certainly a bright spot that lifts my spirits.  :-)
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

The End of Zimbra

Post by phoenix »

ZCS is not moving to a Windows platform, it uses Postfix it's a Linux product and Zimbra have made a commitment to remain open source for the ZCS products.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
pbrunnen
Advanced member
Advanced member

The End of Zimbra

Post by pbrunnen »

Hi phoenix2,

That is *Very* welcome news... And as I edited on my last post, I am very happy to hear that the same Dev and Support team members are remaining. Thanks for the confirmation. :-)
bncloud

The End of Zimbra

Post by bncloud »

Well, while I don't expect Zimbra open source to migrate to a new platform, it's clear Telligent want's it's community of users to employ its Zimra Community platform built on MS.
SnakeDoc

The End of Zimbra

Post by SnakeDoc »

Well, nothing I've seen as a long term user of Zimbra has been great from Telligent. From the damn confusing naming scheme of their "Collaboration" product (hint: Collaboration and Community both have the same connotation and might as well be synonyms) to these god awful forums (pop-ups everywhere! obviously made for a tablet, but hint-hint, most Zimbra admins are using a desktop) to the obviously-now-fake excuse of some "hack" to migrate to Telligent's own forum platform... really not off to a great start.

Telligent, if you are reading this -- you are seriously screwing up. It's like you think you bought some sort of social platform -- this is an Enterprise product for crying out loud!
When VMware took over, things only got better for Zimbra... When Telligent took over... well, I'm seriously worried now.
jerryboi
Advanced member
Advanced member

The End of Zimbra

Post by jerryboi »

Look Bro,

we are just as concerned as you are about the latest developments -- or maybe even more. For instance I just learned that they don't sell the Starter License anymore and I will have to migrate some of my clients to open source and bolt on ActiveSync...

But the allegations you are making are not fair, yes this forum is godawful but Tellingent is not mismanaging ZCS. In fact if you read their publications regarding the future of ZCS they have a WAY more coherent and sensible roadmap than VmWare ever had. Remember the time they just shut down the roadmap page? Now that was good old VmWare for you... No need for touch-enable interface b/c Horizon will virtualize your entire office desktop... Yeah, sure. Telligent development is focusing on always/on, decoupling hsm, all going in the right direction IMO.
ApparentlyMyUsernameIsNotAvailable

The End of Zimbra

Post by ApparentlyMyUsernameIsNotAvailable »

How about Telligent is burying threads that point out problems the community has with them and/or their direction? (like this one that has dropped off the front page although it's one of the most recent threads?)

Ya... I'm going to start shopping for a new mail server. Telligent does seem to think they bought something that Zimbra is not.

Also, seems SnakeDoc is right, the old forums "incident" seems entirely fabricated now. "Uh ya, the forum had a problem, so we're going to take it down for 2+ weeks and take the opportunity to move it (while loosing user accounts and data) to our new crappy social platform that we want everyone to buy but nobody likes, you know... cuz it was hax0red. Ya, we're all about the community! (except your community data, cuz we don't care and/or don't understand the community nor the product)."

PS: If this forum is a showcasing for Zimbra Community (or is it Telligent Community?), I'm never giving it a spin. This is probably the worst forum I've ever used.
jerryboi
Advanced member
Advanced member

The End of Zimbra

Post by jerryboi »

Because it is not a forum. It is more like an alternative to Socialcast, with features that can make a barebones forum. If you can just hop to Scalix or OpenXchange then good for you. We have made commitments that bond us to this platform infinitely. And we are delighted that the development of the product seems to go n the good direction -- not something we could say back in the VmWare days. Now this was the actual point in my previous post -- and you seem to have totally missed it.