Zimbra Debian Support

Official Zimbra news, events, releases, and updates.
1530tommie

Zimbra Debian Support

Post by 1530tommie »

Hi,
I like zimbra a lot but we are using a shared server with umls. And zimbra uses a lot of resources. The uml got a load of 3.0 when sending a mail. This also impacts the host because the uml needs a lot of resources, so my collegues don't like running zimbra on the server :(.
Are there some tuning tips so I can reduce the load...?
Thanks!
marcmac
Elite member
Elite member

Zimbra Debian Support

Post by marcmac »

vrou

Zimbra Debian Support

Post by vrou »

[quote user="marcmac"]So, the software isn't installing completely, and Java is failing to run.
This is why we don't recommend installing in virtual machines.[/QUOTE]
Well, regarding the virtual machines statement, I have a small note on that :)
We are running a hosting environment with ESX 2.5 servers, running multiple instances of debian sarge and some different windows servers.
I have just installed a Debian Sarge, and done the modifications the other users have put into a list, and it just runs perfectly :)
It actually runs faster than on a FC 4.0 installation, i made last week, but that was also a M3 deployment.
Just my 2 cents !
Greets

Bo
1530tommie

Zimbra Debian Support

Post by 1530tommie »

Hi,
Me back again... I am now running Zimbra for a few days. It is realy stable and perfomance isn't an issue anymore. With baking the kernel an error was integrated into the config file. The highmem switch was turned off thats why zimbra was not working very well because not enough memory was available for all our virtual instances.
So thank you Marcmac for all your help and keep up the good work :-)
Regards,

Tommie
robbyt
Advanced member
Advanced member

Zimbra Debian Support

Post by robbyt »

so here's how my debian install went-

Just to preface, i've only used redhat-ES and gentoo in the past. This is my first debian install! After using gentoo for almost 2 years now, I'm almost more impressed with the fact that i don't have to wait for shit to compile then i am with zimbra :D

I started off with a minimal network install of debian 3.1-

upgraded everything that was out of date, and then switched to the debian 2.6.8 kernel.
ran the zimbra install script from the M4_62 debian tar
had to install several packages based on the script's pre-flight checks. re-ran the install.sh script. Install finished, but then then failed during "starting LDAP"

I read the logs and checked this forum and saw that i needed to apt-get openssl. Ok, done. Reinstall, everything installs ok this time.
So now i try to login and aren't able to get on... I try a reboot-

The zimbra service MTA fails because it can't find libxml2. So i apt-get libxml2, restart the services and then get an error about libldap and libphp5 missing.. shit..
So i reinstall zimbra again, now the install script complains that my hosts file is malformed.
I had an entry like this:

192.168.1.49 zimbra zimbra.mydomain.com

so i changed it to

192.168.1.49 zimbra.mydomain.com zimbra
and re-ran the install... (it's funny that the install script didn't care about the hosts file during the first 2 installs i did) After the 2nd reinstall i was able to login!
[edit]

somewhere in there i also killed whatever MTA debian pre-installed
[edit2]

robbyt
Advanced member
Advanced member

Zimbra Debian Support

Post by robbyt »

So things aren't as smooth as i thought. I rebooted the machine and i'm getting the following error message. I'm going to try some ld action, i'll let you know what i can figure out.

Starting mta...FAILED

getService: sasl

getService: webxml

getService: perdition

DO: /opt/zimbra/postfix/sbin/postconf -e content_filter='smtp-amavis:[127.0.0.1]:10024'

DO: /opt/zimbra/postfix/sbin/postconf -e myhostname='zimbra.allovermedia.com'

DO: /opt/zimbra/postfix/sbin/postconf -e recipient_delimiter=''

DO: /opt/zimbra/postfix/sbin/postconf -e smtpd_sasl_auth_enable='yes'

DO: /opt/zimbra/postfix/sbin/postconf -e smtpd_tls_auth_only='yes'

DO: /opt/zimbra/postfix/sbin/postconf -e disable_dns_lookups='no'

DO: /opt/zimbra/postfix/sbin/postconf -e message_size_limit='10240000'

DO: /opt/zimbra/postfix/sbin/postconf -e relayhost='mail.allovermedia.com'

DO: /opt/zimbra/postfix/sbin/postconf -e smtpd_recipient_restrictions='reject_non_fqdn_recipient, permit_sasl_authenticated, permit_mynetworks, reject_invalid_hostname, reject_non_fqdn_sender, reject_unauth_destination, permit'

/opt/zimbra/postfix-2.2.5/sbin/postsuper: error while loading shared libraries: libldap-2.2.so.7: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

/opt/zimbra/postfix-2.2.5/sbin/postalias: error while loading shared libraries: libldap-2.2.so.7: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

/opt/zimbra/postfix-2.2.5/sbin/postfix: error while loading shared libraries: libldap-2.2.so.7: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

saslauthd[22535] :set_auth_mech : failed to initialize mechanism zimbra

Starting snmp...Done.

Starting spell...FAILED

Syntax error on line 232 of /opt/zimbra/conf/httpd.conf:

Cannot load /opt/zimbra/httpd-2.0.54/modules/libphp5.so into server: libstdc++.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
marcmac
Elite member
Elite member

Zimbra Debian Support

Post by marcmac »

Check the forums for the /etc/ld.so.conf issue on debian, which is what's causing _most_ of your problems.
The libstdc++ issue is a missing compat library, - search the forums for that and you should find the package name.
1530tommie

Zimbra Debian Support

Post by 1530tommie »

Marcmac,
is there a way to upgrade to the released 3.0 version? Or can I copy my data?
Regards
tof

Zimbra Debian Support

Post by tof »

As a note, the installer needs the package "perl-modules", which is not installed by default on debian sarge.
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

Zimbra Debian Support

Post by 14319KevinH »

[quote user="1530tommie"]Marcmac,
is there a way to upgrade to the released 3.0 version? Or can I copy my data?
Regards[/QUOTE]

The installer will handle the upgrade for you. Just run install.sh and say yes to the upgrade question.