my own wishlist :)

Have a great idea for extending Zimbra? Share ideas, ask questions, contribute, and get feedback.
9424rubi

Post by 9424rubi »

Currently, the 3 OS projects that I follow closely are:

-Alfresco

-Zimbra

-Fedora Directory Server
I'm currently tied up by my own projects at this point, but I keep my eyes on these 3 every week. Here are my wish list, some of them are probably requested already:
1. Anyway for Zimbra and Alfresco teams to work together, so that there is a more coherent integration? That would be soo cool!
2. If Zimbra and Alfresco could have the same (or similar) security model, that would be really great. I mean, role-based security, applied to both Alfresco and Zimbra
3. ASP model. I'm going to ask this for Zimbra only. How can I use Zimbra in an ASP model? How to control mail quota, disk quota? With the current architecture of storing one file per msg, how would you control that? I guess you can keep track of them and add them up, and how to do it in more dynamic and scalable way?
4. I've not digged into the code yet, but what does it need to make Zimbra store contact information in LDAP (FDS)?
5. Is it possible to use the Alfresco repo as the backend repo, or is this too much work?
6. Someone already asked about lean packaging. I'm all for easy installation and configuration, but I don't feel like using MySQL (nothing against it, just prefer PostgreSQL), and I want to use FDS instead of openldap. It would be nice to have clean, open interface for integration, that makes it easy to pick and choose the best of breeds. For scalability, I can easily run my LDAP on another server, have my DB on yet another, have my repo on a SAN/NAS over fiber optics, ... Think of an environment where I need to support 200K concurrent users. Lean packaging would also make it easier to port to other platform. With embedded openldap postfix, I have no chance to run it on Windows (I know, my server are running on Linux, but for development, demo on laptop?)
7. Support for JSR-168. Yeah someone already asked for that.
8. Performance of the Ajax client. I'm testing the hosted demo, and it feels sluggish, and it makes my machine not very usable. I can see Firefox is eating up CPU, constantly staying at 50 to 60%. My machine: 2.4GHz CPU, 1G RAM, WindowsXP (SP2). Nothing much running at this point: Thunderbird, Firefox (5 tabs, one using the demo), VS 2003 (for a small project, less than 50 classes), one Explorer, AVG, Virtual DAEMON manager, that is. Most services turned off. No messenger, no junk. And running on corporate network, on a saturday morning (2 persons in office). Probably the demo server is too loaded, probably the connection from my place to the demo server has a long latency, but the first impression was not very good. UI looks great though. Never work with Ajax before, any way to improve that?
Looks cool though, with a little more work (quite a bit of works, I would say), it would be like IBM Workplace :)
rdargahi

Post by rdargahi »

[quote user="9424rubi"]Currently, the 3 OS projects that I follow closely are:
8. Performance of the Ajax client. I'm testing the hosted demo, and it feels sluggish, and it makes my machine not very usable. I can see Firefox is eating up CPU, constantly staying at 50 to 60%. My machine: 2.4GHz CPU, 1G RAM, WindowsXP (SP2). Nothing much running at this point: Thunderbird, Firefox (5 tabs, one using the demo), VS 2003 (for a small project, less than 50 classes), one Explorer, AVG, Virtual DAEMON manager, that is. Most services turned off. No messenger, no junk. And running on corporate network, on a saturday morning (2 persons in office). Probably the demo server is too loaded, probably the connection from my place to the demo server has a long latency, but the first impression was not very good. UI looks great though. Never work with Ajax before, any way to improve that?

[/QUOTE]
Could you let us know what version of FF you are using? Also is it consuming CPU when it no activity is happening in the client or when you are interacting with the ciient (e.g. clicking on the inbox)
Thanks
Ross
9424rubi

Post by 9424rubi »

[quote user="rdargahi"]Could you let us know what version of FF you are using? Also is it consuming CPU when it no activity is happening in the client or when you are interacting with the ciient (e.g. clicking on the inbox)

[/QUOTE]
Sorry, forgot about that piece of info. I'm running firefox 1.0.6, with the AdBlock extension, flash and java plugin. That's it.
I was doing nothing (not toutching kb or mouse), with the taskmgr open, looking at the CPU status. And the CPU is loaded up to around 60% every 3 to 5 seconds, dropping back to 15% to 20%, then up again.
Initially, I thought that maybe, there's a longer init phase or something. I continued to click on other stuff. And later on, I realized something is definitely wrong. So I stopped, sat there and watched for 5 to 10 minutes, looking at the page of email list.
I'll do some more test in the evening, when I get some time off my project. I'll try to give you a more descriptive step of what I do. Just to see if it is reproducible everytime.
rgds
rubi
8228cdamon
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by 8228cdamon »

[quote user="9424rubi"]I was doing nothing (not toutching kb or mouse), with the taskmgr open, looking at the CPU status. And the CPU is loaded up to around 60% every 3 to 5 seconds, dropping back to 15% to 20%, then up again. [/QUOTE]

ZCS does poll for notifications (mainly new mail), but that's only every five minutes. If you're not interacting with it, it's not doing anything - Firefox should just be running its UI event loop. Does the Task Mgr show you that it's Firefox chewing up CPU every few seconds?
You might also want to check out this thread which mentions a Firefox bug that causes the CPU to become pegged during a request.
-Conrad
rhuijdts

Post by rhuijdts »

[quote user="9424rubi"]Currently, the 3 OS projects that I follow closely are:
Looks cool though, with a little more work (quite a bit of works, I would say), it would be like IBM Workplace :)[/QUOTE]
I also looked at cpu usage and in my experience there is not a lot of cpu usage when doing nothing. Also i compared it with Domino Webaccess, and while working the cpu usage and performance are about the same.
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by 14319KevinH »

Thanks for the follow-up.