What OS port should be next?

Have a great idea for extending Zimbra? Share ideas, ask questions, contribute, and get feedback.
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by 14319KevinH »

EDIT: A new poll.

-----
Just">http://www.zimbra.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1247
-----
Just a quick pulse check to see what interest is out there for the various OS's ports. BTW: We already support Red Hat Enterprise 4, and Fedora Core 3. We also have reports of it working on Fedora Core 4, but don't release binaries yet.
sjk

Post by sjk »

Any reason Mac OS X was excluded?
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by 14319KevinH »

Mac OS X is already on the roadmap. I should have included it in the poll for completeness, but didn't. Sorry if this caused confusion. We'll take your post as a +1 ;)
GertThiel

Post by GertThiel »

I would like to see ports to Gentoo Linux and Mac OS X.
- Gert
Andy.pflaum

Post by Andy.pflaum »

Gert,
Thanks for the feedback. As for MAC OS X, we're working with some partners right now on the early stages of that port. We'll likely make some more information about this available here soon on the site.
Best,

Andy
goo0h

Post by goo0h »

We--as shocking as this might be--are still delusional enough to be heavy users of Solaris. In fact for quite a long time now. We also heavily rely on Sun's LDAP server.
Sorry if this blows everybody's mind. We haven't quite yet come to the point of considering Solaris to be something worse than the plague. Actually, we're well on our way to transitioning systems to Solaris 10.
FWIW, our Cyrus server uses the Veritas Filesystem on Solaris.
shelob

Post by shelob »

+1 for Gentoo Linux !
riegersteve
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by riegersteve »

aside from needing to do some linking, i would put my name on the line and say that it shoud not be that much of an issue to get this working on solaris.
i too use JES ldap server (at home, not at work) and i use many different services to get their authent info soem JES.
i do not use zombra's ldap server for authentication on my test, and dont plan to even when (and its looking like it) we roll it out into production.
bdillahu

Post by bdillahu »

I'll add another vote for Gentoo...
sjk

Post by sjk »

[quote user="14319KevinH"]Mac OS X is already on the roadmap. I should have included it in the poll for completeness, but didn't. Sorry if this caused confusion. We'll take your post as a +1 ;)[/QUOTE]Thanks, Kevin. My post was motivated by not finding OS X mentioned anywhere on the site during my brief browsing.
Even though What have we open sourced?" says "with Safari support coming soon" it did work well enough with the Zimbra Client hosted demo to get a general feel of the UI (albeit slowly), which is my main personal interest right now. I'll have a more active interest in Zimbra Server when it's available for OS X and/or Solaris, which leads to ...
[quote user="goo0h"]We--as shocking as this might be--are still delusional enough to be heavy users of Solaris. In fact for quite a long time now.[/quote]Then call me delusional, too. I've used Solaris/SunOS for as long as it's existed. I've always preferred it to Linux although that opinion was made several years ago, before everyone and his cat started churning out Linux distributions. Nowadays there may be Linux "environments" I'd feel as comfortable working with as Solaris although my bias it likely to remain more towards Unix flavored systems with BSD origins (including OS X/Darwin, of course).