What OS port should be next?

Have a great idea for extending Zimbra? Share ideas, ask questions, contribute, and get feedback.
fak3r

Post by fak3r »

Kevin

I voted for FreeBSD, as that's my main server, but I'm the one working on the Gentoo install. I think the point should be made though; I'm not working on an ebuild (yet) but instead am just writing a script to dnld, make and install it. I would like it to be as distro neutral as possible so that the script could help the largest amount of people to get it up and testing with it. From there it should be easier to port the install and create specific packages. I'm most interested it taking it to FreeBSD, once it's running there create a Port for it to drop in the FreeBSD tree.
Need to get it running first, I'll post where I'm stuck here on the forums.
Thanks
fak3r
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by 14319KevinH »

[quote user="fak3r"]Kevin

I voted for FreeBSD, as that's my main server, but I'm the one working on the Gentoo install. I think the point should be made though; I'm not working on an ebuild (yet) but instead am just writing a script to dnld, make and install it. I would like it to be as distro neutral as possible so that the script could help the largest amount of people to get it up and testing with it. From there it should be easier to port the install and create specific packages. I'm most interested it taking it to FreeBSD, once it's running there create a Port for it to drop in the FreeBSD tree.
Need to get it running first, I'll post where I'm stuck here on the forums.
Thanks
fak3r[/QUOTE]
Yes we are also trying to make the Zimbra source build distro neutral. Goal will be to have a Zimbra *light* source download where folks can point to local copies of distro specfic dependancies.
diablobsb

Post by diablobsb »

another vote for gentoo
GO gentoo o/
Pistos

Post by Pistos »

Another vote for Gentoo, please.
trioglobal

Post by trioglobal »

Where's Gentoo on the poll. +1 for Gentoo.
pwd

Post by pwd »

I assume that Fedora 4 is on the roadmap but in any case this is a vote for it (and future Fedora vesion).
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by 14319KevinH »

[quote user="pwd"]I assume that Fedora 4 is on the roadmap but in any case this is a vote for it (and future Fedora vesion).[/QUOTE]
Yes, it's on the roadmap. It should be pretty easy for us to build Fedora 4 since v3 is already working.
GMoore7

Post by GMoore7 »

+1 for Windows. I'm a windows fan and I have yet to see a webmail suite like this available for Windows except for the ones that cost more then they should and do less then they should. :)
~Garrett
16143geek

Post by 16143geek »

gentoo

gentoo

gentoo!
kevindods
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by kevindods »

Debian port would suit us - solid and well supported. Ubuntu on the desktop and Debian/Zimbra would be all we need to leave much of MS behind. Exchange has been the tricky sticky bit that we havent got rid of yet!
Great looking software - should show some ex-commerical groupware how GPL software should work!