Reflections from new user

Have a great idea for extending Zimbra? Share ideas, ask questions, contribute, and get feedback.
15242Dag

Post by 15242Dag »

Hi,

here are some thoughts after a day of getting zimbra working on a Mandriva 2005 distribution:
1. The installation process needs refinement. You should make it possible to use the distri package and just provide the config files. Of course as an alternative to the ones in your package. Now it was a hell to get working.
2. Try to centralize the logfiles somehow to make it easier to find out what goes wrong when something does. Ie. symlinks from the /opt/zimbra/log directory to the appropriate places would be one way. Using syslog all the way an even better.
3. The Web interfaces doesn't work with any konqueror I have tested so far:

3.4.2 and 3.4.3. You cannot get past the login-screen.
4. The mailserver is suprisingly fast to be java.
5. In the mailreader the Recieved date is the date when the mail was entered into Zimbra, not when it was recieved in the first place (from the headers). This will be a pain when migrating mail as you will loose the info about the real recieved date in the migration.
6. The searches are presented through IMAP as folders, which is fine. But still you cannot create subfolders and so on. A clearer way would probably be to make these subfolders of a pseudofolder "Search" or similar. Then you would know ahich presented folders are searches and which are not.
7. Couldn't find a way to view attachments in the mail interface.
8. Saveing a built search wasn't very intuitive.
9. Like the idea with Datastore in files + database index. This takes care of a big problem with incremental backups. Now only the new data + the whole index will be stored instead of the whole mailfile/databasestorage as in many solutions. Good thinking!
Best regards
Oy Espoon Newtech Ab

Dag Nygren
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by 14319KevinH »

[quote user="15242Dag"]Hi,

here are some thoughts after a day of getting zimbra working on a Mandriva 2005 distribution:
1. The installation process needs refinement. You should make it possible to use the distri package and just provide the config files. Of course as an alternative to the ones in your package. Now it was a hell to get working.

[/QUOTE]
Yes we know. You'll see plenty of talk on the forums if you search a bit. We are working on making it easier. Just give us time. I must commend your effort, unlike some others who reported dislike with our installer you just hacked it out GOT IT WORKING and then mentioned it should be fixed.
[quote user="15242Dag"]

2. Try to centralize the logfiles somehow to make it easier to find out what goes wrong when something does. Ie. symlinks from the /opt/zimbra/log directory to the appropriate places would be one way. Using syslog all the way an even better.

[/QUOTE]
We agree. Next build will have a centeral log server for reporting and tracing. This should help some. We'll take a look to see if we can move more logs to /opt/zimbra/log or at least link to them.

[quote user="15242Dag"]

3. The Web interfaces doesn't work with any konqueror I have tested so far:

3.4.2 and 3.4.3. You cannot get past the login-screen.

[/QUOTE]
Correct. At this time we support Mozilla, Firefox, and IE. If you can find specfic issues with a fix let us know and we can try to get them in.

[quote user="15242Dag"]

4. The mailserver is suprisingly fast to be java.

[/QUOTE]

Thanks.
[quote user="15242Dag"]

5. In the mailreader the Recieved date is the date when the mail was entered into Zimbra, not when it was recieved in the first place (from the headers). This will be a pain when migrating mail as you will loose the info about the real recieved date in the migration.

[/QUOTE]
From the reports we've had using --syncinternaldates flag with the imasync util you don't have this problem. So a search on imapsync and you'll see what other's have done. I think in the end all were happy with the migration.

[quote user="15242Dag"]

6. The searches are presented through IMAP as folders, which is fine. But still you cannot create subfolders and so on. A clearer way would probably be to make these subfolders of a pseudofolder "Search" or similar. Then you would know ahich presented folders are searches and which are not.

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the input. We'll take a look at this.
[quote user="15242Dag"]

7. Couldn't find a way to view attachments in the mail interface.

[/QUOTE]
They should be linked at the top of the message, when viewing it. Just click on them.

[quote user="15242Dag"]

8. Saveing a built search wasn't very intuitive.

[/QUOTE]
What changes would you suggest?

[quote user="15242Dag"]

9. Like the idea with Datastore in files + database index. This takes care of a big problem with incremental backups. Now only the new data + the whole index will be stored instead of the whole mailfile/databasestorage as in many solutions. Good thinking!

[/QUOTE]
Thank you. We enjoy feedback and coments. This is the best way to help us improve going forward.

[quote user="15242Dag"]

Best regards
Oy Espoon Newtech Ab

Dag Nygren[/QUOTE]
15242Dag

Post by 15242Dag »

Hi and thanks for the response.
3. Konqueror not working

I will take a look at this and I really thing that there is a problem in konqueror, but at the moment the Login screen is not in the middle of the screen, but in the upper middle half obscured by the screen. Also "nothing happens" when pressing the login button.
5. On the dates on the messages:

I just copied the messages in a kmail session using IMAP and the original dates were gone. Guess it must be kmail then... I will look into using imapsync.
7. The attachments:
Found the icon on SOME messages.

The mailclient for some reason cannot recognize the attachments our faxserver is sending...
the Mail looks like this:

Return-Path:

Delivered-To: dag@newtech.fi

Received: (qmail 15379 invoked by uid 10); 12 Jul 2005 14:33:03 -0000

Date: 12 Jul 2005 14:33:03 -0000

Message-ID:

Mime-Version: 1.0

Content-Type: Multipart/Mixed;

Boundary="NextPart15367"

Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

To: dag@newtech.fi

Subject: facsimile received from 932181639

X-Spambayes-Classification: ham; 0.00

X-Spambayes-Trained: ham

X-UID: 574

X-Length: 372393
--NextPart15367

Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii

recvq/fax01076.tif (ftp://dag:4559/recvq/fax01076.tif):

Sender: 932181639

Pages: 6

Quality: Normal

Page: ISO A4

Received: 2005:07:12 17:30:46

TimeToRecv: 2:06

SignalRate: 14400 bit/s

DataFormat: 1-D MR

ReceivedOn: ttyS1

CommID: c00001977 (ftp://dag:4559/log/c00001977)
--NextPart15367

Content-Type: application/postscript

Content-Description: FAX document

%!PS-Adobe-3.0

%%Creator: fax2ps

%%CreationDate: Tue Jul 12 17:33:03 2005

%%Origin: 0 0

%%BoundingBox: 0 0 612 792

....... A lot of postscript .....

%%Trailer

%%Pages: 6

%%EOF
--NextPart15367--

No other mail clients have had problems with this.
BTW. Are there any plans of including/allowing external viewers for attachments? Ie. Postscript,Word,Excel and so on?
8. On saving a built save:
What about a "Save build" button?
Best from Finland

Dag

14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by 14319KevinH »

[quote user="15242Dag"]

BTW. Are there any plans of including/allowing external viewers for attachments? Ie. Postscript,Word,Excel and so on?

[/QUOTE]
We have this today. When you click on the attachment you should be able to select the view.
[quote user="15242Dag"]

8. On saving a built save:
What about a "Save build" button?

[/QUOTE]
Well if you hover over the disk it says just that. I see you point though, adding text on the button may help.
15242Dag

Post by 15242Dag »

[quote user="14319KevinH"]We have this today. When you click on the attachment you should be able to select the view.
[/QUOTE]
Sorry, I wasn't clear on this.

What I am looking for is a hook to transform the attachment to something that any browser understands, ie a jpg file.

I really need this because our fax-server (Yes, that one again...) creates Postscript attachments, which the average Internet cafe user on Win98 ( ;-( ) cannot see, but I can imagine that a Word attachment viewed from the same cafe would propose the same problem.
IMP, which we are now using was very easy to modify for showing the Postscript stuff as a jpg, and the MS-office stuff coversions were built into the installation.
Thanks

Dag
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by 14319KevinH »

[quote user="15242Dag"]Sorry, I wasn't clear on this.

What I am looking for is a hook to transform the attachment to something that any browser understands, ie a jpg file.

I really need this because our fax-server (Yes, that one again...) creates Postscript attachments, which the average Internet cafe user on Win98 ( ;-( ) cannot see, but I can imagine that a Word attachment viewed from the same cafe would propose the same problem.
IMP, which we are now using was very easy to modify for showing the Postscript stuff as a jpg, and the MS-office stuff coversions were built into the installation.
Thanks

Dag[/QUOTE]
Our network version includes indexing and converting over 200 attachement types to HTML. So this may solve it for you.
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by 14319KevinH »

[quote user="15242Dag"]

the Mail looks like this:

[/QUOTE]
Dag, Can we get a full sample message. Best way is view original and then zip up the data and attach it here. Or PM me for my email and you can send it to me.