Web Client Loading ... Forever

Have a great idea for extending Zimbra? Share ideas, ask questions, contribute, and get feedback.
kenny810

Post by kenny810 »

I built on FC4 (make allclean and make) from the trunk and was able to use /zimbraAdmin and have a couple of issues:
1. Web Client Loading ... Forever - when I use /zimbra, the web client keeps showing the 'Loading ...' message with the busy cursor. There isn't anything interesting in the log files to indicate what's going on. Anyone seen this problem?
2. Web Client Debug Mode Not Working - I tried using ?debug=3 (and other numbers or t). The console doesn't show anything. Do I need to turn debugging on in the build?
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by 14319KevinH »

There is nothing in the build too turn on. It should print to the debug window with debug=3. Did you look in the JS console?
pshah
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by pshah »

I believe we now strip out debug println's for production builds so even with the debug window up, you wont see anything get printed.
You'll have to append "?debug=1&mode=mjsf" to your URL to get this to work once again. And like kevin said, be sure to take a look at the JS console for any javascript errors.
I would also suggest trying to load the client w/ IE if you have access to a window machine just to rule out anything weird w/ FF.
kenny810

Post by kenny810 »

Thanks for the pointer to the JS console. I saw an error message there a while ago and never thought it could be so obstructive! Anyway, AjxMessageFormat constructor choked when it was passed an undefined parameter. It turns out quota message keys (quotaDescLimited and quotaDescUnimited) are missing in, ZimbraClient/WebRoot/js/zimbraMail/config/msgs/ZmMsg.properties.
Adding these keys resolved the 'Loading ...' forever issue.
However, the debugging with mode=mjsf doesn't work! According to its status display, my FF keeps spinning 'Transferring' and 'Waiting for ...'
pshah
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by pshah »

Strange..
Sounds like you didnt sync completely? The error you are seeing was a somewhat recent checkin on mainline branch and there's no reason you should see that error.
I would suggest trying to re-sync w/ CVS and redeploy the webclient (assuming this is what you initially did working off the trunk).
mikechansf

Post by mikechansf »

[quote user="pshah"]Strange..
Sounds like you didnt sync completely? The error you are seeing was a somewhat recent checkin on mainline branch and there's no reason you should see that error.
I would suggest trying to re-sync w/ CVS and redeploy the webclient (assuming this is what you initially did working off the trunk).[/QUOTE]
I am not sure if this is related or not. I started with 3.1 on CentOS 4.3 and later upgraded to 4.0. These are GA releases, not from the trunk. After the 4.0 upgrade, the system is very slow in sending emails and gets the message of "Work In Progress" regularly. I didn't have this problem with 3.1 release. At times, it takes nearly 1 minute just to send an email after I have pressed the "Send" button. I see similiar problem when I save a new appointment. This is the same for FF and IE. For other areas of the system, the response time is very fast.
The is a properly sized server with 2Gig of RAM and a Dual Core AMD 64 CPU

with ample amount of space. When I use the system monitor to see the utilization, CPU is under 2% and memory is only 530MB of the 2Gig.
Today, I have upgraded to 4.01 hoping the new release will resolve the problem. Unfortunately, it didn't.
Does anyone else face similiar problem?
Zimbra.JPG
adobrin
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by adobrin »

is the server on the local network?
if not, are there latency issues with the remote network, or throughput issues on the local?
mikechansf

Post by mikechansf »

[quote user="adobrin"]is the server on the local network?
if not, are there latency issues with the remote network, or throughput issues on the local?[/QUOTE]
The server is on the DMZ with a public IP with no internal IP. FQDN is mail.imdclinic.com and the IP is 202.123.212.6. It is hosted in a dataceter with ample amount of bandwidth. Whether I connect to the web client on the server or remotely, the speed is the same for sending emails and adding appointments so I don't believe it is a bandwidth issue. The strange thing is that the server is very fast for everything except sending emails and adding appointments.
mikechansf

Post by mikechansf »

[quote user="mikechansf"]The server is on the DMZ with a public IP with no internal IP. FQDN is mail.imdclinic.com and the IP is 202.123.212.6. It is hosted in a dataceter with ample amount of bandwidth. Whether I connect to the web client on the server or remotely, the speed is the same for sending emails and adding appointments so I don't believe it is a bandwidth issue. The strange thing is that the server is very fast for everything except sending emails and adding appointments.[/QUOTE]
Can someone help? I am exhausted on where to look and this "slowness" is really bothering the users and they are starting to complain. I don't see any obvious errors in the log?
adobrin
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by adobrin »

what else is the machine doing?
does 'tomcat restart' as the zimbra user solve the problem, or temporarily solve it?