[SOLVED] No Extraction of Lists?

Have a great idea for extending Zimbra? Share ideas, ask questions, contribute, and get feedback.
Sonny Ali

Post by Sonny Ali »

I'm trying to manage Distribution Lists and I came across a small issue. A department head asked me to export the list of members on XYZ list and send it to him. I said sure... and then quickly realized there was no 'export' list function? Isn't there a way to export to TXT, CSV, XLS, or anything? Distribution Lists would be much easier to manage if that were available.
mmorse
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by mmorse »

Step 1: Get a printout of all your distribution lists:

zmprov gadl
Step 2: Print out the members for a given distribution list.

zmprov gdl dist-list@domain.com

Want to know if a list is inside a list?

Show if that particular distribution list is a member of other distribution lists:

zmprov gdlm dist-list@domain.com
Sonny Ali

Post by Sonny Ali »

Nice job. Thanks.
I still want a way to do it via GUI, but I can't complain too much.
mmorse
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by mmorse »

Can't say it'll be on the to do list for a while, but you could open a RFE for 'export distribution list membership to csv via the admin console'

-Be sure to explain that the functionality of zmprov gdl dist-list@domain.com works fine, but you just want it implemented in the admin console.

-A little more work, but personally I think one export button in the distribution list overview that would 'export .csv of all list memberships' would be more useful than having a separate export of each list (you could then chop up your excel file by list).

-Heck you could expand you request to export lists of accounts, resources, etc -.csv exports all over the place!
This is kinda related: Bug">http://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=19157>Bug 19157 - Ability to export GAL as a CSV file
Be sure to post your RFE number to this thread!
The distribution list long term plans include:

-a method to 'allow members to see distribution list membership'

-user moderated distribution lists (ie: You give one member user privileges to manage the list's members-not create new lists mind you-that will be reserved for admins & domain admins)

-lists that they can self subscribe too or what's referred to as common listserv functionality (mailman)
mmorse
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by mmorse »

I just added some comments to: Bug 19157 - Ability to export GAL as a CSV file
[quote user="czaveri"]Currently we have the ability to export all contacts/addressbooks as CSV but not

the GAL. This request is to be able to export GAL as a CSV file. This feature

may be available from the command-line or from the Admin UI or the end-users may

be able to do it.[/quote]
[quote user="mmorse"]In regards to a zmprov gaa or zmaccts converted to .csv:
Admin console export is fine, but if the users are allowed to do so there needs

to be a way to disable this. (and set it to disable by default)
Ya users could grab accounts lists 25-100 queries at a time from the GAL search,

but I don't want everyone exporting an entire 50,000 account GAL list and carrying it around.

Fall in to the wrong hands or the hands of spammers...
(Yes in that example your just relying on the sheer amount of effort required -as they can always do 100 lookups at a time- it's not designed to stop the bad guys, just prevent huge user lists from floating around.)
Also .csv exports of accounts, resources, distribution lists, etc via the admin

console.[/quote]
sujithmk

Post by sujithmk »

[quote user="mmorse"]The distribution list long term plans include:

-user moderated distribution lists (ie: You give one member user privileges to manage the list's members-not create new lists mind you-that will be reserved for admins & domain admins)

-lists that they can self subscribe too or what's referred to as common listserv functionality (mailman)[/QUOTE]
The above plans on distribution list looks impressive. Can you let us know the status of these plans.
We are eager to implement moderation on some of our distribution lists.
Sujith
mmorse
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by mmorse »

Welcome to the forums,

Be sure to vote for / support ticket tag / cc watch these RFE's:

Bug 7554 - Cannot view distribution list members when composing message

Bug 6053 - Delegated admin of distribution lists

Bug 8968 - Mailman Integration

Bug 8099 - Distribution list moderation
Favorites around here seem to include mailman, sympa, listproc, smartlist, majordomo, listserv, etc, etc - you may wish to check out the recently documented process for ZCS Mailman Integration - Zimbra :: Wiki (comes from forum thread: http://www.zimbra.com/forums/administra ... howto.html)
danielfarrelly
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by danielfarrelly »

[quote user="mmorse"]

The distribution list long term plans include:

-lists that they can self subscribe too or what's referred to as common listserv functionality (mailman)[/QUOTE]
Any word on the first? Would love to be able to see members of a distribution list.
selliott
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by selliott »

[quote user="mmorse"]Welcome to the forums,

Be sure to vote for / support ticket tag / cc watch these RFE's:

Bug 7554 - Cannot view distribution list members when composing message

Bug 6053 - Delegated admin of distribution lists

Bug 8968 - Mailman Integration

Bug 8099 - Distribution list moderation
Favorites around here seem to include mailman, sympa, listproc, smartlist, majordomo, listserv, etc, etc - you may wish to check out the recently documented process for ZCS Mailman Integration - Zimbra :: Wiki (comes from forum thread:
Any news on, Bug 6053 - Delegated admin of distribution lists? I work at a TV station with 12 transmitter sites and would like to have the Lead Field Engineer manage the distribution lists for these sites.
Thank You,

Sherry

And Yes, I did go ahead and put in my vote for this bug.