NEW POLL: What OS port should be next?

Have a great idea for extending Zimbra? Share ideas, ask questions, contribute, and get feedback.
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by 14319KevinH »

Well it's been some time since our last poll, so we decided to close that poll and publish a new one with all the *other* options folks mentioned in the comments now added to the poll.
We've also released a few more ports since our last poll:
- Fedora Core 4

- OSX

- SUSE ES9

- SUSE 10
You can always get the latest devloper builds via SourceForge. We tend to release new ones once a week.
We've also opened up a read-only CVS tree for those who want to live on the edge. This also comes in handy when trying to build/run Zimbra on a OS which we don't have binaries for yet.
Remember Zimbra in general is *very* portable. Requires only Java, Postfix, MySQL, PERL, and few other dependencies. So for the most part a *port* of Zimbra is just a re-compile of the dependencies and some packaging magic.
We here at Zimbra would love to be able to ship/produce Zimbra binaries for all the OS flavors out there, but with limited resources it's just not practical. So first and foremost we port to OS's which our customers are likely to run, and secondly to OS's that our community shows interest in.
Please only comment on this thread if your OS is missing from the poll. A million comments saying "+1 " just annoy our port/build master. ;)
marcmac
Elite member
Elite member

Post by marcmac »

[quote user="14319KevinH"]

Please only comment on this thread if your OS is missing from the poll. A million comments saying "+1 " just annoy our port/build master. ;)[/QUOTE]
+1 DBG, please...
1230zaf
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by 1230zaf »

No more OS ports are necessary, all the important ones are supported ;)
marcmac
Elite member
Elite member

Post by marcmac »

Let the flame wars begin.... sheesh.
1230zaf
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by 1230zaf »

[quote user="marcmac"]Let the flame wars begin.... sheesh.[/QUOTE]
Well, here's my reasoning for saying that:

You're already supporting an enterprise Linux, as well as MacOS. You also provide the source. Trying to support an install on Windows is a huge undertaking, especially for an OS that's going to cost the user much extra on Licensing fees anyway.
Hobbyists are free to compile the source on anything they want, and they'd be happy with that. An Enterprise is going to most likely dedicate a machine to running Zimbra. If they're dedicating a machine to it, then they shouldn't have any problem choosing from the list of what Zimbra already supports.
That's why I think that spending dev time on other platforms is a waste. I could be wrong -- enterprises may want to stick with their standard server environment -- but I think for the most part (for Linux), that's RHEL anyway. If there were to be any other, it would be SuSE.
marcmac
Elite member
Elite member

Post by marcmac »

[quote user="1230zaf"]Well, here's my reasoning for saying that:

You're already supporting an enterprise Linux, as well as MacOS.

[/QUOTE]

But not intel mac (yet, v. soon). And no 64 bit builds yet. And no Solaris, yet.

[QUOTE]

You also provide the source. Trying to support an install on Windows is a huge undertaking, especially for an OS that's going to cost the user much extra on Licensing fees anyway.

[/QUOTE]

no postfix on windows, so it's a non-starter

[QUOTE]
Hobbyists are free to compile the source on anything they want, and they'd be happy with that. An Enterprise is going to most likely dedicate a machine to running Zimbra. If they're dedicating a machine to it, then they shouldn't have any problem choosing from the list of what Zimbra already supports.
That's why I think that spending dev time on other platforms is a waste. I could be wrong -- enterprises may want to stick with their standard server environment -- but I think for the most part (for Linux), that's RHEL anyway. If there were to be any other, it would be SuSE.[/QUOTE]

Actually, we see a lot of debian requests - SuSE is much more prevelant in Europe, I think.
And we've got one guy running it on his own hand-rolled distro. Though the setup wasn't exactly smooth...
onkelfusspilz

Post by onkelfusspilz »

Hi,
gentoo has taken the lead with grate prominence and I don't think that it's an accident.

I use gentoo on all my servers for years and can't change that. Please support gentoo, the porting should be easy (just create a set of ebuild install scripts, the gzipped tarballs can be used as archives).
Is there any chance?
Thank you!

Andreas Piening
marcmac
Elite member
Elite member

Post by marcmac »

Gentoo, as I understand it, is for bleeding edge folks who like to build things themselves.
We provide source. Build away.
Enterprises, who are our target (remember, we're a company) aren't likely to deploy on gentoo.
antonio.meireles

Post by antonio.meireles »

On the established OS scene a porting to Solaring (both x86 and SPARC) would be a good fit.
On the bleeding edge, bet on the future, i 'd sugest a port to rpath's Conary, the new venture started by Erik Troan, of RH' rpm fame, and AFAIK the linux packaging technology to follow atm. The appliance model beeing advocated by conary seems a very good fit to zimbra. More, it would simplify a lot installation, and future upgrades... [Since Zimbra announced an Asterik partnership with digium, just ask them why are they interestes in conary based asterik 'appliances']
My .2 €uros

Best regards, and keep the damn good work

António
Zingra

Post by Zingra »

[quote user="marcmac"]

Enterprises, who are our target (remember, we're a company)[/QUOTE]
That should be reason enough for a Solaris port. :)