New installation, but can not retrieve email

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
RomanHoliday

Post by RomanHoliday »

Hi all,
We are considering of changing the existing Novell Groupwise mail server to Zimbra solution, so we had setup an proof-of-technology Zimbra server within our office intranet.
The PoT environment is based on FC3 and used a dummy hostname (e.g., "zimbra.mysite.com").
The installation process was quite smooth, and the Zimbra server is already up and running now. I have created few user accounts so our evaluators could start to work on it.
Since it's only a PoT environment, we assume users could send email to each other within the Zimbra system only.
Users is accessing Zimbra thru IE web browser, they could compose new message and send out the email, but unfortunately the email are not delivered into the respective user's a/c within Zimbra.
May I know how to resolve the issue?
The 2nd question: we found each user need use its email address as the username for login (e.g. "user123@zimbra.mysite.com"). How to configure the Zimbra so that user could sign in with the user ID only (e.g. "user123")?
Thank you for help.
marcmac
Elite member
Elite member

Post by marcmac »

[quote user="RomanHoliday"]

Since it's only a PoT environment, we assume users could send email to each other within the Zimbra system only.

[/QUOTE]
That's correct, though if you route mail to the zimbra.mysite.com domain to the zimbra server, you'll be able to receive (and send) mail from the internet, too.

Users is accessing Zimbra thru IE web browser, they could compose new message and send out the email, but unfortunately the email are not delivered into the respective user's a/c within Zimbra.

[/QUOTE]
This is actually a DNS issue - the zimbra server doesn't find itself as the destination for your domain, since it's not set up in DNS. To fix this, you can disable DNS lookups via the admin console, MTA tab.
If you want to still be able to send out to the internet, you can set up a relay host for outgoing mail (use your existing mail server for this). This is also done in the admin console.

The 2nd question: we found each user need use its email address as the username for login (e.g. "user123@zimbra.mysite.com"). How to configure the Zimbra so that user could sign in with the user ID only (e.g. "user123")?

[/QUOTE]

This should work fine for the first domain you created. The fix is to set zimbra.mysite.com as the "default" domain. You can set that up in the admin console, or from the command line (as the zimbra user):

zmprov mcf zimbraDefaultDomainName zimbra.mysite.com

Thank you for help.[/QUOTE]
No problem - let us know how the trial goes!
retireoncsco

Post by retireoncsco »

[quote user="RomanHoliday"]Hi all,
We are considering of changing the existing Novell Groupwise mail server to Zimbra solution, so we had setup an proof-of-technology Zimbra server within our office intranet.
The PoT environment is based on FC3 and used a dummy hostname (e.g., "zimbra.mysite.com").
The installation process was quite smooth, and the Zimbra server is already up and running now. I have created few user accounts so our evaluators could start to work on it.
Thank you for help.[/QUOTE]
Is the MTA running?

does mail flow out of the system at all? how about in?

are you fwd all mail to a smart host? if so, it would send their before resolving to itself, I think.

What build are you installing?

An alias for a user may allow them to login with their ID, but since you're on GW aren't you used to using that std? ;)
RomanHoliday

Post by RomanHoliday »

[quote user="marcmac"]That's correct, though if you route mail to the zimbra.mysite.com domain to the zimbra server, you'll be able to receive (and send) mail from the internet, too.

This is actually a DNS issue - the zimbra server doesn't find itself as the destination for your domain, since it's not set up in DNS. To fix this, you can disable DNS lookups via the admin console, MTA tab.
If you want to still be able to send out to the internet, you can set up a relay host for outgoing mail (use your existing mail server for this). This is also done in the admin console.
This should work fine for the first domain you created. The fix is to set zimbra.mysite.com as the "default" domain. You can set that up in the admin console, or from the command line (as the zimbra user):

zmprov mcf zimbraDefaultDomainName zimbra.mysite.com

No problem - let us know how the trial goes![/QUOTE]
Thank you. I will try it tomorrow and revert.
RomanHoliday

Post by RomanHoliday »

Is the MTA running?
>> Will check it tomorrow. From the admin console, I found all services are up and running.
does mail flow out of the system at all? how about in?
>> The PoT is for internal test only. Since we already have a corporate Novell groupwise mail server (e.g. mail.site.com), so I'm not sure if we can configure a 2nd mail server and how can the two mail server work together. So want to evaluate it within Intranet as of now.
are you fwd all mail to a smart host? if so, it would send their before resolving to itself, I think.
>> what is smart host? how to check?
What build are you installing?
>> should be the latest driver for FC3. I download it from Zimbra website last night.
An alias for a user may allow them to login with their ID, but since you're on GW aren't you used to using that std? ;)
>> will find out how to set alias.
Thank you for reply.
RomanHoliday

Post by RomanHoliday »

Based on the instruction, I have disabled DNS lookups and set relay host for outgoing mail, it works fine now.
Thank you.