"show original" error

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
dotslashroot

"show original" error

Post by dotslashroot »

Everytme I try to view email headers by right-clicking and selecting show original I get an error:
HTTP Status 401 - need to authenticate
type Status report
message need to authenticate
description This request requires HTTP authentication (need to authenticate).

Apache Tomcat/5.5.7
What can I do to fix this? Thanks!
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

"show original" error

Post by 14319KevinH »

Interesting... Are you logging in as a normal user or using the login as admin? What browser? Can you view attachments? Compose in a new window?
dotslashroot

"show original" error

Post by dotslashroot »

[quote user="14319KevinH"]Interesting... Are you logging in as a normal user or using the login as admin? What browser? Can you view attachments? Compose in a new window?[/QUOTE]
I am a normal user with admin privs. I am using Firefox 1.5.0.1 in Ubuntu. I haven't tried attachments until you asked and I get the same error when trying to view a .jpg attachment. I do not have compose in new window turned on but I am assuming it would error too. Not being able to get attachments or see full headers is going to be a problem. Thanks for any help you can provide.
Lucas
dotslashroot

"show original" error

Post by dotslashroot »

I figured out what happened. I had opened a new tab in FF and logged into the admin UI and from there viewed emal as another user. That aparently breaks something in the first tab. What is strange is in the original tab where I was logged in to begin with I have been able to send and receive email all afternoon but when I tried to view headers or an attachment it gave me the error. I logged out and back in and all is well. I will have to remember that.
schemers
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

"show original" error

Post by schemers »

This is basically what happened:
1) when you logged out of the other tab, you deleted the cookie that holds your "auth token", i.e., your authentication.
2) the other tab still had the auth token stored in a JavaScript variable, and sends that with each SOAP request, so it looked like you were still "logged in".
3) when you click on a link or do a "show original", the browser is actually doing an http GET, and it needs to send the cookie (which you deleted in 1), to the server to get access to the data. thus, you couldn't access them.
We've discussed work arounds for this issue, like the possible of having the cookie name be based on an account id, so you could login into multiple accounts in the same browser. We'd then have to modify the client code that does the GET to include the account id in the request, so the server knew which cookie to look at.
dotslashroot

"show original" error

Post by dotslashroot »

Thanks for the explanation. I didn't officially log out of the first tab. I just left it open and started a new tab and logged in. But yeah the cookie would have been reset. Login ID information with the cookie would be a nice feature. As administrator I have my personal email open and the admin UI. It would be nice to check admin@domain.com and personal@domain.com without logging on and off every time. Keep up the good work! My next goal is to tie this into our eDirectory tree.