Migration question

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
Sc00ter

Migration question

Post by Sc00ter »

Okay, I was following this page:

to">http://wiki.zimbra.com/index.php?title=Split_Domain
to do a split domain for migration.
What I was doing (and tell me if this is wrong, and the correct way to do it if possible) was putting a .forward file in the user directories that were moving.
So we'll use the example.com domain used in the webpage example.
mail comes to user@example.com. The MX points to mail.example.com. So the mail gets delivered to user on mail.example.com. In their home directory they have a .forward that sends the mail to user@zimbra.example.com.
zimbra.example.com bounces with a relaying denied error.
How do I get that mail to user@example.com on the zimbra.example.com server?
Sc00ter

Migration question

Post by Sc00ter »

okay, I figured out one thing.. in the .forward file has to have the same hostname as the zimbra server.
So if you have zimbra.example.com you can't have the forward file say user@newmail.example.com.
I changed the .forward file to user@zimbra.example.com and ran another test.
This is now the current error.
----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----

user@zimbra.example.com

(reason: 550 : Recipient address rejected: User unknown in local recipient table)

(expanded from: )
bparris

Migration question

Post by bparris »

postconf -e canonical_maps=hash:/opt/zimbra/conf/canonical

put "@zimbra.example.com @example.com" into the canonical file

postmap canonical

postfix stop

postfix start
Sc00ter

Migration question

Post by Sc00ter »

[quote user="bparris"]postconf -e canonical_maps=hash:/opt/zimbra/conf/canonical

put "@zimbra.example.com @example.com" into the canonical file

postmap canonical

postfix stop

postfix start[/QUOTE]
Well, that kind of worked.. But now if I send an email from the new zimbra server, it doesn't go to mail.example.com, it just delivers it locally on zimbra.example.com.
bparris

Migration question

Post by bparris »

[quote user="Sc00ter"]Well, that kind of worked.. But now if I send an email from the new zimbra server, it doesn't go to mail.example.com, it just delivers it locally on zimbra.example.com.[/QUOTE]
That's exactly what the split domain is supposed to do, for any account that exists in zimbra, deliver locally, otherwise forward to another server for delivery.
Sc00ter

Migration question

Post by Sc00ter »

[quote user="bparris"]That's exactly what the split domain is supposed to do, for any account that exists in zimbra, deliver locally, otherwise forward to another server for delivery.[/QUOTE]
There's no way to setup all the accounts on the zimbra server ahead of time and slowly migrate people over? I've already created the accounts.. I'd hate to have to remove them, than re-add them again.
rsharpe
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Migration question

Post by rsharpe »

You can on Zimbra just change the zimbraMailTransport attribute to send to the other server.
zmprov ma user@example.com zimbraMailTransport smtp:mail.example.com
bparris

Migration question

Post by bparris »

[quote user="Sc00ter"]There's no way to setup all the accounts on the zimbra server ahead of time and slowly migrate people over? I've already created the accounts.. I'd hate to have to remove them, than re-add them again.[/QUOTE]
Try setting the accounts inactive, see if that helps.