Calendar Entries- always wrong time on some computers

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
iansbrainstorm

Post by iansbrainstorm »

Ok just got out of Google and it appears that in some circumstances the browser will show the server time zone rather than the local time zone.
I could not work out how to fix that.

As far as I could see it is related to Java running in a browser.
The key words seem to be "client browser time zone" Also Google results feature high with Java.
calendar.google.com works ok on all computers.
Ok I checked and set the calendar entry from Outlook and it shows correctly in Zimbra after the sync.
Hope someone can nut that out.
Both Computers are Windows XP Pro with full updates and rebooted to make sure!
Finally I forgot to mention that when I have Zimbra open in the browsers the time on the Bottom left is showing correctly
neilmc

Post by neilmc »

[quote user="iansbrainstorm"]Ok just got out of Google and it appears that in some circumstances the browser will show the server time zone rather than the local time zone.
I could not work out how to fix that.

As far as I could see it is related to Java running in a browser.

[/QUOTE]
Server timezone as in Zimbra server timezone? I'm pretty sure that our Zimbra server is set to the same timezone as the client machines. We just have a simple workgroup and a handfull of Linux servers (no domain controller)
I might play around with java VM versions on a problem PC then and see if anything changes.
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by 14319KevinH »

Zimbra doesn't use Java on the client. So that should have no effect. My guess is it's related to the headers the browser is sending. Those may be controlled by the PC settings but at this time it's unclear how the two are related.
iansbrainstorm

Post by iansbrainstorm »

What can I say. Both computers have same windows and updates installed. Obviously something is different but I have no idea on how to fix it. What would be different about Zimbra and other calendar web based Ajax sites because I have tried many with no problems on my main computer.
Thanks
iansbrainstorm

Post by iansbrainstorm »

Ok this is the bit that puzzles me. The server is getting the correct time from the browser to display in the bottom right of the Zimbra window. So it seems for some reason Zimbra is using two mechanisms for determining the browser time. Maybe that may help narrow it down a bit.
This is a significant issue in useability and I see others have had the problem.
I am happy to try anything you can suggest.
Ian
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by 14319KevinH »

Maybe try the live HTTP plugin for Firefox and try to see if the headers that are being sent match exactly.
iansbrainstorm

Post by iansbrainstorm »

Ok installed that and found the date is showing incorrectly as one would expect. I have sent a private message to you with the complete headers but the line which is most relevant is.
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2006 16:26:29 GMT where it should be
Fri, 02 Jun 2006 02:36:19
So I need someone to explain how one computer with identical windows XP and browsers works fine but the others do not.
Also the time showing in Zimbra bottom left is correct.
Email date and time are correct in the browser.
It is only affecting the calendar if you use the browser. Create an event in Outlook and the time is fine.
Anyway someone at Zimbra should be able to do something with the details I sent, it is frustrating but I am running out of ideas.
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by 14319KevinH »

[quote user="iansbrainstorm"]Ok installed that and found the date is showing incorrectly as one would expect. I have sent a private message to you with the complete headers but the line which is most relevant is.[/QUOTE]
Please send me both a working and non-working version. Thanks.
area

Post by area »

I am also experiencing strange time zone issues.
I configured all users to use AEST (ie: a timezone of (GMT+10.00) Canberra / Melbourne / Sydney).
However, it seem that the users who use the system remotely have had their timezones changed - 3 have been reset to (GMT-08.00) Pacific Time (US & Canada) / Tijuana presumably because their home PCs have not been configured for a timezone of AEST.
Another user is on holiday in Italy and his timezone has ben set to (GMT+01.00) Amsterdam / Berlin / Bern / Rome / Stockholm / Vienna.
I am using the following command to check their TZ setting:
zmprov ga username | sed -n 's/^zimbraPrefTimeZoneId: //p'

and using this command to reset it:
zmprov ma username zimbraPrefTimeZoneId "(GMT+10.00) Canberra / Melbourne / Sydney"

Zimbra version is 3.1.1_GA_394.
Hope this helps - Angus
iansbrainstorm

Post by iansbrainstorm »

So area is this something that keeps happening or the reset fixes it permanently? The computers I have used have this problem when using computers that do have the correct timezone and are connected to a shared ADSL connection.
I will give it a go and see what happens. Will get back with results.