New Mail Notification - pop-up? Bell? Whistle?

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
gribbler

Post by gribbler »

Is there any way, and if there isn't can you please add this feature, that a pop up window will notify a user of new email?
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by 14319KevinH »

Yes we have a toaster app that can run in a Systray on windows. Not released yet but it's something for the future.
Summit

Post by Summit »

[quote user="14319KevinH"]Yes we have a toaster app that can run in a Systray on windows. Not released yet but it's something for the future.[/QUOTE]Anything for the Mac? Like GMail notifier?
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by 14319KevinH »

Well anyone can use the RSS feed. It would be trivial to make an apple widget for checking mail. You could use an RSS feed reader or a widget that can check for new mail with POP. This would even work for windows with an app like POP tray.
http://www.poptray.org/screenshots.php
Summit

Post by Summit »

That doesn't work for me because the firewall here blocks the POP and IMAP ports. I need something like GMail notifier that logs in and checks for new messages using the web interface on port 80 (or the https port).
Is that what your toaster app for windows does or is it just using POP? If it's using the web port/interface then that's something I'd like to see for the Mac as well.
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by 14319KevinH »

The web interface talks to our server over SOAP/HTTP same port as you access the web client on. So any toaster like popup just needs to talk soap. On the Mac widgets have native JS code. So it'd be pretty easy to have a simple call to check for new mail via SOAP. Or like I mentioned earlier you can use RSS to for the same thing. Here's more info on our REST Interface
cleary

Post by cleary »

Do you know if there is any work being done on a linux notifier?
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by 14319KevinH »

[quote user="cleary"]Do you know if there is any work being done on a linux notifier?[/QUOTE]
Not inside of Zimbra... There are lots of notifiers that support basic POP/IMAP new mail notification.