garbled e-mail and charset

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
iwoodnt

Post by iwoodnt »

My problem is mails sent FROM zimbra. The attachment name is garbled when sending via zimbra except when sending from outlook to outlook express.

Is there anything I can do to make the filename show up properly for people I send mail to.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="iwoodnt"]My problem is mails sent FROM zimbra. The attachment name is garbled when sending via zimbra except when sending from outlook to outlook express.

Is there anything I can do to make the filename show up properly for people I send mail to.[/QUOTE]

Operating system, clients you've tried this with, version & release of Zimbra, languages in use on the clients, versions of Outlook?
Have you looked in bugzilla or searched the forums to see if this is known? Some information about your specific problem might help!
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
iwoodnt

Post by iwoodnt »

[quote user="10330phoenix"]Operating system, clients you've tried this with, version & release of Zimbra, languages in use on the clients, versions of Outlook?
Have you looked in bugzilla or searched the forums to see if this is known? Some information about your specific problem might help![/QUOTE]

Sorry about that. I have been fiddling with it so much that I forgot to mention the details.
Server is ZCS3.1 on FC4.
Clients I have tried sending from (via zimbra) are:

Thunderbird: trouble with title and attachment when receiving in OE6

Outlook: Seems to be OK for all clients so far except for attachment names in AL-Mail (http://www.almail.com/), which is unfrtunately used by a few of my customers.

Zimbra webmail: trouble with attachment name when receiving in OE6, Thunderbird and AL-Mail.

* Hotmail displays everything garbled when sending from the ZCS webmail but seems to be fine when sending from outlook.
Versions are Outlook 2003 (English) Firefox 1.506 (English) and Thunderbird 1.505 (Japanese) running on a Japanese version of Windows XP.
dkarp
Elite member
Elite member

Post by dkarp »

[quote user="iwoodnt"]Thunderbird: trouble with title and attachment when receiving in OE6

Outlook: Seems to be OK for all clients so far except for attachment names in AL-Mail (http://www.almail.com/), which is unfrtunately used by a few of my customers.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, these are problems with Thunderbird and Outlook-used-as-an-IMAP-client. Both clients compose their own mail and submit it directly to the MTA; Zimbra's really not in the loop there.
[quote user="iwoodnt"]Zimbra webmail: trouble with attachment name when receiving in OE6, Thunderbird and AL-Mail.[/QUOTE]

This is probably either bug 7361[/URL] or bug 9365[/URL], both fixed in 4.0.
iwoodnt

Post by iwoodnt »

[quote user="dkarp"]Unfortunately, these are problems with Thunderbird and Outlook-used-as-an-IMAP-client. Both clients compose their own mail and submit it directly to the MTA; Zimbra's really not in the loop there.

This is probably either bug 7361 or bug 9365, both fixed in 4.0.[/QUOTE]

I think I have managed to solve most of my woes with outlook by changing the default outgoing encoding to UTF8 (I thought I had already tried that). Not surprisingly, hotmail continues to screw things up as the page is in SHIFT_JIS but the message is in UTF8, so you get one or the other depending on what setting your browser uses.
Those bugs DO seem like the same sort of problem, so thinks will probably peachy once I get 4.0 up and running (I am not game yet).
Thanks for all the help.