Zimbra stoped working

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
ahhhh

Zimbra stoped working

Post by ahhhh »

Another update: Zimbra has been up for about 20 hours. It seems that something with the Outlook Net Folders subscriptions was causing the problem. If anyone at Zimbra is interested in looking into this further and is willing to walk me through getting messages from the hold queue and/or log files to you, I have 60 messages on hold, and I'm pretty sure one or more of them is the culprit.
kharmander

Zimbra stoped working

Post by kharmander »

Hi!
I have exactly the same error as Antonio:

2007-02-14 09:08:57,427 FATAL [main] [] soap - Unable to start servlet

java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Requested array size exceeds VM limit

2007-02-14 09:08:57,432 INFO [main] [] [/service] - Marcando el servlet SoapServlet como no disponible

2007-02-14 09:08:57,433 ERROR [main] [] [/service] - El Servlet /service lanzó excepción de load()

javax.servlet.UnavailableException: Requested array size exceeds VM limit
But I do not know how to fix the "corrupted" tomcat redolog...
Some of you could help me with this mess? I'm a bit nervous 'cos my mail server is turned off...
My zimbra version is: 3.0.1_GA_160.FC4
Please I will apreciate your support!
Thanks,

Kharmander
[quote user="antonio.meireles"]I' m writing here to thank publicly to Marc Mac, and zimbra, for the awesome job he did. We get in touch on MSN, he prontified to log via ssh on my zimbra box, and promply, with another zimbra engineer, identified the problem which turned to be a corrupted (tomcat) redolog.
keep the awesome job.
Cheers, from Portugal
António[/QUOTE]
tim brennan
Advanced member
Advanced member

Zimbra stoped working

Post by tim brennan »

[QUOTE]2006-08-15 14:57:46,894 FATAL [LmtpServer-5] [] system - Fatal error occurred while handling connection

java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Requested array size exceeds VM limit[/QUOTE]
Is there an exception description after this message (a stack trace or somesuch)? There should be...
kharmander

Zimbra stoped working

Post by kharmander »

Yes, there is much more...
2007-02-14 09:08:57,427 FATAL [main] [] soap - Unable to start servlet

java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Requested array size exceeds VM limit

2007-02-14 09:08:57,432 INFO [main] [] [/service] - Marcando el servlet SoapServlet como no disponible

2007-02-14 09:08:57,433 ERROR [main] [] [/service] - El Servlet /service lanzó excepción de load()

javax.servlet.UnavailableException: Requested array size exceeds VM limit

at com.zimbra.soap.SoapServlet.init(SoapServlet.java:121)

at javax.servlet.GenericServlet.init(GenericServlet.java:211)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.loadServlet(StandardWrapper.java:1068)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.load(StandardWrapper.java:900)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.loadOnStartup(StandardContext.java:3823)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.start(StandardContext.java:4087)

at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChildInternal(ContainerBase.java:759)

at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChild(ContainerBase.java:739)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.addChild(StandardHost.java:524)

at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDirectory(HostConfig.java:909)

at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDirectories(HostConfig.java:872)

at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployApps(HostConfig.java:474)

at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.start(HostConfig.java:1106)

at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.lifecycleEvent(HostConfig.java:310)

at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleSupport.fireLifecycleEvent(LifecycleSupport.java:119)

at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1019)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.start(StandardHost.java:718)

at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1011)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine.start(StandardEngine.java:440)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.start(StandardService.java:450)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.start(StandardServer.java:683)

at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:537)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)

at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:585)

at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.start(Bootstrap.java:271)

at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:409)

Any idea?
(I'm trying installing a clean zimbra installation and then restore a backuped zimbra and re-install it... but I'm not sure it will work at all)
jholder
Ambassador
Ambassador

Zimbra stoped working

Post by jholder »

How much ram does your zcs server have?
Also, can you post the output of:

zmlocalconfig | grep tomcat
kharmander

Zimbra stoped working

Post by kharmander »

It has 512 or 768 MB of RAM (I really do not remember exactly)...
I can't post the output because I do not have access to this computer right now, but as soon as I arrive at home I will report the output of zmlocalconfig command.
This server has been working for almost 1 year without any problem and no reconfiguration... and suddently tomcat became broken...
I backuped /opt/zimbra folder and I did a clear new installation... so I have lost all the mailbox mails but the mail service its running again.
My problem now is trying to recover mailboxes from the backup... there is any command or tools for import mailboxes?
Regards,

kharmander
Service
Elite member
Elite member

Zimbra stoped working

Post by Service »

[quote user="kharmander"]It has 512 or 768 MB of RAM (I really do not remember exactly)...
I can't post the output because I do not have access to this computer right now, but as soon as I arrive at home I will report the output of zmlocalconfig command.
This server has been working for almost 1 year without any problem and no reconfiguration... and suddently tomcat became broken...
I backuped /opt/zimbra folder and I did a clear new installation... so I have lost all the mailbox mails but the mail service its running again.
My problem now is trying to recover mailboxes from the backup... there is any command or tools for import mailboxes?
Regards,

kharmander[/QUOTE]
Hi,
I seem to be in the same boat. My server at home had a dirty reboot due to a power failure and tomcat is seriously messed up.

I already backed up /opt/zimbra to see if an upgrade would solve the issue but no luck. I do have a sound backup from my version 4 (now running 4.5).

Can I replace the tomcat installation with the version 4?
Thanks in advance,
GJ.
jholder
Ambassador
Ambassador

Zimbra stoped working

Post by jholder »

[quote] I do have a sound backup from my version 4 (now running 4.5).

Can I replace the tomcat installation with the version 4?[/quote]
Hi GJ,

That's kind of an ambiguous question. Do you mean you have a version 4 zcs, and you're running version 4.5 right now?
I think you should address your errors so that you know how to handle this if it happens again.
What kind of errors are you getting?
john
Service
Elite member
Elite member

Zimbra stoped working

Post by Service »

[quote]Hi GJ,

That's kind of an ambiguous question. Do you mean you have a version 4 zcs, and you're running version 4.5 right now?
I think you should address your errors so that you know how to handle this if it happens again.
What kind of errors are you getting?
john[/QUOTE]
Hi John,
That's right, I'm running 4.5 right now and have a good backup from version 4 (I always run a backup before an upgrade).
When logging on to Zimbra, I get the following error:
An unknown application error has occurred. Please correct any errors and retry. If the problem persists, please contact your System Administrator. (AjxException.INVALID_PARAM)
/var/log/zimbra.log doesn't show any errors. What else can I look at?
Thanks,

GJ.
Service
Elite member
Elite member

Zimbra stoped working

Post by Service »

Ok, I made a bit of progress. I copied my last good backup (4.02) back to /opt/zimbra and did a reinstall of 4.02. I then upgraded the install to 4.51.
I'm finally able to logon again but I'm still missing all my emails between the 4.02 backup and now. Any ideas on how I can restore these? I copied /opt/zimbra/mysql and /op/zimbra/db from the corrupt 4.51 installation but this didn't do the trick.
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,

GJ.