Archiving Mail

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
Ryan Frantz

Archiving Mail

Post by Ryan Frantz »

Zimbra is supposed to have support for archiving mail, correct? I've reviewed the admin guide and could not find any mention of how this is done. Is there any documentation available that describes this feature? Is this feature available yet?
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

Archiving Mail

Post by 14319KevinH »

This is in the network version. Check out the guide here:

Feature">http://www.zimbra.com/pdf/Zimbra%20NE%2 ... 0Guide.pdf
Feature is HSM.
Ryan Frantz

Archiving Mail

Post by Ryan Frantz »

Y'know, I read that and it didn't click that that was the archiving feature. :D
Where in Zimbra does one configure the secondary storage that emails are archived to?
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

Archiving Mail

Post by 14319KevinH »

Admin UI. There is an HSM tab assuming you've got the Network edition.
Ryan Frantz

Archiving Mail

Post by Ryan Frantz »

Perhaps I should restate ;) :
I do have the Network Edition and I can access the HSM tab in the Global Settings window. My only configuration option is to set a message age threshold. What I'm curious to know, is how do I configure which volume archived messages are moved to? How can I verify that messages have been archived?
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

Archiving Mail

Post by 14319KevinH »

On each server there is a Volumes tab. You set up your volumes there. Best way to verify is to check the archive dir after the age has past.
yetdog

Archiving Mail

Post by yetdog »

I have another question that's related to Archiving.
Once these messages are moved to the archive store via HSM, what if the user tries to delete them? Are they denied, or is there anyway to prevent them from deleting messages? (I'm asking because a Banking institution was asking about this feature due to laws and regulations requiring mail to be kept indefinitely...) Also, I assume that once the message has been 'archived', it no longer counts towards quota?
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

Archiving Mail

Post by 14319KevinH »

[quote user="yetdog"]I have another question that's related to Archiving.
Once these messages are moved to the archive store via HSM, what if the user tries to delete them? Are they denied, or is there anyway to prevent them from deleting messages? (I'm asking because a Banking institution was asking about this feature due to laws and regulations requiring mail to be kept indefinitely...) Also, I assume that once the message has been 'archived', it no longer counts towards quota?[/QUOTE]

HSM != Archiving (for that def).
HSM just moves the message data to different disks. So older mail can live on cheaper disks. It still counts against quota and can be moved/deleted like the rest of the mail by users.
We are working on archiving which will handle the use case you propose. It will be included in a future release.
scalper
Advanced member
Advanced member

Archiving Mail

Post by scalper »

Does the archive directory will be automatically created or have to be defined at the volumes tab.
If have to be defined.. what is the definition?
Thanx!
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

Archiving Mail

Post by 14319KevinH »

For HSM in the Network version you need to create it. Archiving will be defined once we build it ;)