user level whitelist only filters

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
13315krisk

Post by 13315krisk »

Anyone know how to setup individual user accounts to receive mail from whitelist entries only? It looks like this is possible from a system level by putting a *.* wildcard in the blacklist and then using whitelist for specific addresses.
I am wanting to setup email accounts for my children that allow emails only from specific addresses that I have reviewed and whitelisted, yet not affect myself or other users on the system. Are there individual user level equivilants to the /opt/zimbra/conf/salocal.cf.in settings specified in the whitelist readme?

Any">http://wiki.zimbra.com/index.php?title= ... FBlacklist
Any other simple ideas on how to do this? I'm currently using tmda challenge/response for those accounts, but it's really way overkill for what I need to accomplish.

Tks!
andreychek
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by andreychek »

[quote user="13315krisk"]Anyone know how to setup individual user accounts to receive mail from whitelist entries only? It looks like this is possible from a system level by putting a *.* wildcard in the blacklist and then using whitelist for specific addresses.[/QUOTE]

One way to do this might be to setup a filter. Have the filter read something like:
Select the option "All Conditions"

* size over 1

* From does not contain friendly_user@somedomain.com

* From does not contain dad@this_domain.com

* From does not contain mom@some_otherdomain.com
And then for "Perform the following actions", you can choose "Discard".
Good luck!

-Eric
13315krisk

Post by 13315krisk »

Thanks for the suggestion, I've tried the client filter method you describe in both T-bird, outlook, and other clients. The problem with it is that the emails then still show up in the trash folder or other filter folder. I suppose that could be auto-scripted to delete them, but that then prevents normal use of the trash folder, and still doesn't prevent them from being available for at least some period of time.
I'd really like to implement this on a per-user basis at the postfix or server processing level before it ever reaches the inbox or other user visible folders.

I'm sure there's many other parents that would appreciate this functionality as well!
My current setup is with postfix, dovecot, spamassassin and tmda. The Zimbra solution sounds like a really nice package I'd like to try, but really needs this per user whitelist/blacklist functionality.

K
andreychek
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by andreychek »

[quote user="13315krisk"]Thanks for the suggestion, I've tried the client filter method you describe in both T-bird, outlook, and other clients. The problem with it is that the emails then still show up in the trash folder or other filter folder. I suppose that could be auto-scripted to delete them, but that then prevents normal use of the trash folder, and still doesn't prevent them from being available for at least some period of time[/QUOTE]

Howdy,
What I'm suggesting is actually to utilize the filtering functionality with the Zimbra client itself, rather than a third party client like Thunderbird.
Once you create a Zimbra email account, you can go into that using the web interface, and setup a filter like I mentioned. Using that, with the aforementioned parameters, you can cause messages to be deleted outright, rather than just showing up in the trash.
I hope that helps!

-Eric
mmorse
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by mmorse »

or if you don't want to do it in the webclient itself-because they can undo:

check out:

not">http://wiki.zimbra.com/index.php?title= ... Recipients
not for your children situation but

http://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=6953 is looking to add support so that users can do it individually