Filter Existing Mail

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
leog21
Advanced member
Advanced member

Filter Existing Mail

Post by leog21 »

Is there a way to run a mail filter on existing mail in the inbox?
mmorse
Ambassador
Ambassador

Filter Existing Mail

Post by mmorse »

You can track/vote for: Bug 1112 - a user should be able to run filter rules over an existing set of mail items.

-Though it's currently already scheduled for GunsNRoses - the 5.5 roadmap :)
In the meantime, you might use the saved search feature.

(Though I realize you might be looking to see what the filter would apply to, or don't want to spend time duplicating the functionality of your filters and all, etc.)
bjared
Advanced member
Advanced member

Filter Existing Mail

Post by bjared »

I'm looking for this very filter, so I can move all 77,000+ "Mail Delivery System" erorrs I got overnight into a new folder for easy deletion...
I'm not about to delete them via the Web UI. I'll have to see if thunderbird or Outlook can assist me with that. They were all sent to our noc address, so there are going to be a couple other people with 77,000+ messages as well. Hmm...
Krishopper
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Filter Existing Mail

Post by Krishopper »

I had a similar situation and created a saved search and logged into my account via IMAP and did it that way.
I have also used the POP3 search trick.
username: user@domain.com{from:mailer-daemon@domain.com subject:"Mail Delivery Status"}

Will log in as user@domain.com and only POP messages that match the search in between the {}'s.
bjared
Advanced member
Advanced member

Filter Existing Mail

Post by bjared »

Thanks for that tip. I'll have to keep that in mind for next time. Thunderbird actually had a very nice search feature, and I could select them all and file them into the trash. (I also hit the "Delete" button at the bottom of the search results window, but it was still working on the 77,000+ messages from pressing "File", I think. Nonetheless, I got them deleted. That was exciting.
Krishopper
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Filter Existing Mail

Post by Krishopper »

I do like Thunderbird's search feature as well - but when you're dealing with that much email, I tend to like to have Zimbra do the filtering and Thunderbird can just deal with only the messages in the saved search that Zimbra shows it... oh how I love the saved searches.