Mac Toaster does not install properly

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
Mark Daniel
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by Mark Daniel »

Sure thing!
Bug #23578
rich@specialai.com

Post by rich@specialai.com »

[quote user="Mark Daniel"]Ok, I downloaded the version I was kindly guided to in the Demos area, and it does appear that that version of the Mac Zimbra Toaster is damaged. After a bit of inspection, it appears that the Zimbra Toaster.app > Contents > Info.plist file is the wrong one... it makes no reference to Toaster itself, whereas the Zimbra Toaster.app (version .22) that comes with the Zimbra Desktop alpha does contain a proper Info.plist.
I basically took the Info.plist from version .22 and threw it into the current 5.0 build, and voila, she works perfectly (although it reports .22 in the About dialog).
Attached is the working Info.plist from .22.[/QUOTE]
i am having the same problem but the method you just listed here does not work.
after replacing the Info.plist file in the package contents folder, I attempted to install Toaster and I get the install windows, all the way up to where i select the hard drive, but at the very end, when i click install, i get an error stating I could not continue b/c there is nothing to install. All the package contents are there, I just replaced the Info.plist file following the directions above.
Any idea when a fix for this will happen?
kapshure

Post by kapshure »

could someone explain to me how to put this info.plist into the "current build" that Mark is referring to? I have downloaded it, and extracted on notebook, and I'm just a n00b in osx at this point to immediately get this part>? will continue to google this until then.
thanks!
pcsupport

Post by pcsupport »

Install zimbra toaster as normal then once it is installed go to your applications folder and find the zimbra toaster program.
Right click on it and select 'show contents'. Navigate your way through the folders there until you find the original plist. Rename it to something else (as a backup) and then copy the (downloaded) plist into the same location as one that you have just backed up.
Shutdown & restart and fire up zimbra toaster et voila!
If you want it to start automatically on boot you'll have to add it to the users startup items (preferences/accounts//login items)

Now my question... Has anyone built or know of a PPC version of the zimbra desktop program and if so, where is it?
Russianspi
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by Russianspi »

Thanks! I don't know why I didn't think to ask that same question myself. Appreciate the tip - works great!
kapshure

Post by kapshure »

Thanks PCSUPPORT for clarifying. My only apprehension is that the user base here unfortunately is one of the most non-tech saavy group I've ever worked with. I need this to be as simple and as transparent as possible else they wont use it and/or it will just create more work for me in the long run and I'll have to hand hold each and every mac user through this process.
A few were really just looking for the mailto: click functionality..
Anyways, this isn't your problem, so I appreciate the feedback and such.
Thanks!
Russianspi
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by Russianspi »

Wow. I might take issue with the tech savvy remark - lots of the folks here administrate Zimbra Servers. While that may be remarkably easier than dealing with any number of other E-mail servers, it is still no insignificant task. I think that the real issue here may well be that the users on these forums deal with a broad range of software products (Desktop, Mobile, Server, etc.), hardware (Win, Mac, Linux, Cellphones, etc.), and E-mail related user issues for a whole company. Sometimes broad knowledge doesn't run as deep. (I don't use a Mac, for example, and never have, but the executives at my company expect me to support theirs.) No problem, but I might need to ask a question every now and then. I have a feeling, that I'm not unique in my situation...
kapshure

Post by kapshure »

hmmm I'm not certain if the comment offended you (or anyone else that reads this thread) but it certainly wasnt meant to. I come from a 3 year background of Exchange 2003 administration and heavy Active Directory experience, so honestly, this is my first run in w/ anything non-MS... and I'm in the same boat w/ supporting mac users too.. I dont mind the OS, I'm just certainly not a power user by any means in the OSX field. Neverthless, I've got 4 different email clients I'm supporting, mobile devices, winodws clients, mac clients, and our prod environment is all CentOS 5.
Everyone on these forums has been SUPER helpful and no offense or condescending attitude was directed to anyones technical level or expertise found in these forums.
For this issue, I was just hoping that the mac version of toaster worked as easy as the PC version (Even though I was getting security warning pop-ups, I was able to get the app/service to work). I was just stating that although the post-installation tweaks that were necessary to make this work are most likely fairly easy, I just have trepidation in pushing it to my user base. That's all.
Thanks.
J
Russianspi
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by Russianspi »

Nope, no offense. I just wanted to clarify, and to help make sure that we keep the same positive additude on these forums that you and I have already enjoyed. I also have found people here to be exceptionally helpful. I agree - I want everything to be idiot-proof when I push it out.
pcsupport

Post by pcsupport »

Kapshure - Once you have it installed on all of your users machines then all you will need to do is copy the modified toaster program into everyone's applications folder rather than having to install & change every installation on every machine.
I'm still playing with zimbra myself and so foar (touch wood) have had no problems what so ever.
Good luck with rolling it out.