How Disable Antivirus and only use spamassassin?

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
beermaster

Post by beermaster »

I want to disable the antivirus and only use the spamassassin, how can i do this?
jareep
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by jareep »

The services can be enabled/disabled with the admin GUI. If you need to know where exactly, let me know and I'll go look. Also, what version of Zimbra are you using?
beermaster

Post by beermaster »

I disable antivirus in the GUI, but the service of antispam still working with the use of Clamd, how can i deactivate clamav without deactive spamassassin?.
I want to optimize the delivery of mail because the antivirus become slow the delivery of mail.
Zimbra Version 4.0.5 GA 518 on Centos 4.2
If only disable the antivirus in the GUI the antispam don't wortk...

work when activate the option "Enable spam checking and antivirus:" in the "AS/AV" section of Global settings, but this action activate the antivirus clamd and I don't want these option because become slow the queue active and the mail is acumulated in the queue for many time until 60 minutes or more :(
After that i need to stop the antivirus and antispam services for empty the queue more fast
Sorry my english is not good :(
In spanish (anyone?):
Deshabilito el antivirus en el GUI, pero el servicio del antispam sigue trabajando con el uso de Clamd, como puedo desactivar clamav sin desactivar spamassassin?.
Quiero optimizar la entrega de correo porque el antivirus vuelve lenta la entrega de correo.
Zimbra Version 4.0.5 GA 518 on Centos 4.2
Si solo desactivo el antivirus en el GUI el antivirus no trabaja...

trabaja cuando activo la opcion "Enable spam checking and antivirus:" en la section "AS/AV" de Global settings, pero esta accion activa el antivirus clamd y no quiero esta opcion del clamd porque vuelve lenta la "cola activa" y el correo se acumula en la cola por mucho tiempo, hasta 60minutos o mas :(
Despues de esto tengo que detener los servicios del antivirus y antismap para vaciar la cola mas rapidamente.
Gracias de antemano por la ayuda
jholder
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by jholder »

Is there a specific problem with ClamAV?
beermaster

Post by beermaster »

No, i only want disable this service, only need spamassassin to reduce de time of delivery of messages.
The question is: How I disable antivirus(which include amavis and clamd) and enable antispam.
Actually my services say:

$ zmcontrol status

Host host.mydomain.com

antispam Running

ldap Running

logger Running

mailbox Running

mta Running

snmp Running
but in the zimbra.log i don't see any activity of spamassassin
yusufu

Post by yusufu »

I have a seperate server running my antispam and antivirus so I would like to disable my spamassassin.

Please tell me how I can achieve this
16113Chewie71
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by 16113Chewie71 »

Ditto...we just put in an IronPort device...where's the spot to disable Antispam?
Matt
I think I figured it out....it's on the server tab for the MTAs....doesn't look like it can be disabled from the Global-AV/AS tab.
adamf663

Re: How Disable Antivirus and only use spamassassin?

Post by adamf663 »

jholder wrote:Is there a specific problem with ClamAV?
It is causing message retrieval to take 10-20 seconds instead of a millisecond.
Invariably when I see such lags, there are java clamav processes each taking 100% of the cpu.
I tried throwing more memory and cpu to the server, but it made no difference.

I do not have any windows users, and clamav is moronic. I'd rather lock the doors against intruders than waste time analyzing their droppings.
L. Mark Stone
Ambassador
Ambassador
ZCS/ZD Version: 10.0.6 Network Edition

Re: How Disable Antivirus and only use spamassassin?

Post by L. Mark Stone »

The reason I like to keep Zimbra's AS/AV in place even when you have inbound and outbound AS/AV protection (from IronPort, Mimecast, Barracuda or similar) is that Zimbra routes email for any domain it hosts entirely internally. So, if one mailbox starts emailing malware to every other mailbox on the server, you have to rely on every user having some form of endpoint protection on all of their devices.

Sure, Mimecast and ProofPoint do the journaling trick to try to stop on-domain malware propagation, but there is a lag, and so keeping Zimbra's anti-spam IMHO is a good idea.

I have a blog post about recommended best practices; you could skip the third-party blacklists if you are on a super-tight budget.
https://www.missioncriticalemail.com/20 ... ices-2019/

Hope that helps,
Mark