[SOLVED] Redologs

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
danny.sierra@omtech.net
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

[SOLVED] Redologs

Post by danny.sierra@omtech.net »

Hi guys i got a question, does redologs rotate? or you should rotate them manually, if this is so, how can you do that, i remember once i rotate all redologs from the folder archive and my zimbra died, any idea?
mmorse
Ambassador
Ambassador

[SOLVED] Redologs

Post by mmorse »

NE has:

zimbraRedoLogArchiveDir: redolog/archive

zimbraRedoLogDeleteOnRollover: FALSE

zimbraRedoLogEnabled: TRUE

zimbraRedoLogFsyncIntervalMS: 10

zimbraRedoLogLogPath: redolog/redo.log

zimbraRedoLogRolloverFileSizeKB: 102400

The archive folder is then cleaned out during the incremental backup process.
If you don't run incremental backups the archive folder will never get cleaned out. As if you don't run those you're also willing to give up point-in-time restore functionality (restoreToTime/restoreToIncrLabel/restoreToRedoSeq) in that case you don't need to keep the redologs around at all. You just need the current redo.log file for crash recovery purposes. Thus the config setting for this type of operation: zmprov mcf zimbraRedoLogDeleteOnRollover TRUE
On FOSS you can set zimbraRedoLogDeleteOnRollover FALSE (TRUE by default) but you must remember to purge /opt/zimbra/redolog/archive/ frequently least you run out of disk space on accident.
[quote]Edumacation:
Full Backup Process-

1. Backs up the LDAP directory.

2. Backs up the global system data including system tables and the local config.xml file.

3. Iterates through each account to be backed up and backs up the LDAP entries for those accounts.

4. Places the accountÂ’s mailbox in maintenance mode to temporarily block mail delivery and user access to that mailbox.

5. Backs up the mailbox.

a. Creates MySQL dump for all entries related to that mailbox.

b. Creates a backup of the index directory for that mailbox.

c. Backs up the message directory for that mailbox.

4. Returns that accountÂ’s mailbox to active mode and moves on to the next one.

(So you now have the message store, the database, the indexes, and the LDAP directory all backed up.)
Incremental Backup Process-

1. Backs up the LDAP directory.

2. Backs up the global system data including system tables and the local config xml.

3. Iterates through each account to be backed up and backs up the LDAP entries for those accounts.

4. Looks in the backup target directory to find the latest full backup for the account.

5. Moves the archive redo logs, created since the last backup, to the /redologs directory.[/quote]
danny.sierra@omtech.net
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

[SOLVED] Redologs

Post by danny.sierra@omtech.net »

Thanks a lot Mike it is clear for me, i'm gonna change this attribute on my zimbra and tell you how it goes, in my case i just do a full backup that's why i got to many space used by redologs, thanks again,
bjared
Advanced member
Advanced member

[SOLVED] Redologs

Post by bjared »

Alright! So nice to find the magic thread that addresses my issue. We nuked the incremental schedule some time ago (for a reason I can't recall) and only have a full and delete job scheduled. Sheesh...glad to have found this answer.