Zimbra on Mac OS X Powerbook (Server and Client)

Ask questions about your setup or get help installing ZCS server (ZD section below).
robjsewell

Post by robjsewell »

Hi, I just downloaded Zimbra - it looks like it's just what I've been dreaming of - and the install process worked fine, just like a standard Mac OS X software install. I even spotted the bit about /opt/zimbra/libexec/zmsetup.pl and when it failed in Terminal I managed to work out how to set up a root userid and password, then repeated /opt/zimbra/libexec/zmsetup.pl and saved the file, which had a .5nnn extension.
You will have gathered I know nothing about this stuff, so what do I do now? I was looking for a nice little Zimbra icon or something - yes, I'm naive! Used to be a Systems Programmer on IBM a million years ago but whilst Macs are fantastic I don't know much Mac/Unix/Linux stuff. Thanks in anticipation, Rob
marcmac
Elite member
Elite member

Post by marcmac »

Now you've got a fully functioning mail server.
You can use the web client at

http://hostname/zimbra/mail

and the admin client at:

https://hostname:7071/zimbraAdmin (this is where you create accounts)
Your admin login was set up during the install. (You remember the password, right?)
robjsewell

Post by robjsewell »

Many thanks Marc, have tried but what's the definitive way to find my hostname? On a terminal window I get a prompt saying:
Last login: Sun Jan 29 11:06:07 on ttyp1

Welcome to Darwin!

no-dns-yet:~ robsewell$
I thought the no-dns-yet bit would be the hostname, but suspect that this string means that something somewhere is missing? I tried hostnames of 127.etc., localhost, and the no-dns bit, plus my actual IP address as supplied via DHCP from my router.
Many thanks again,
Rob
marcmac
Elite member
Elite member

Post by marcmac »

You're not going to get far without DNS.
Your hostname can be determined by typing:

hostname

at the command prompt.
You can also use 127.0.0.1 in your browser, instead of the hostname.