Global Address Book downloading & auto complete

Questions, comments, and problems with Zimbra on Apple desktops & general CalDAV / CardDAV questions.
michel young

Post by michel young »

The installation of the Zimbra software that I'm using doesn't seem to have the ability to download the Global Address Book. I've looked in the web interface and found a way to export my address book but when I try that I seem to get only contacts that I've synced with the iSync connector.
I know that there is a Global Address Book because when I start to address an email to someone on the server the autocomplete feature begins to show matches.
So how do I have either iSync get access to the Global Address Book? Is there a config on the server that needs to be completed to make this happen? If so, please let me know and I'll inform my IT group.
One final question (unrelated really) I've got the 4.5.733 version of the isync Mac connector. How do I get the latest version? Again please let me know what I need to tell my IT department.

Thanks in advance,

Michel
mmorse
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by mmorse »

Welcome to the forums,
Early Disclaimer: I'm not a mac user, and then of course I can't actively test the iSync connector-lol. So in a sec I'll move this to the Apple iSync section where you can be better helped (don't worry it'll auto redirect).

[quote user="michel young"]The installation of the Zimbra software that I'm using doesn't seem to have the ability to download the Global Address Book. I've looked in the web interface and found a way to export my address book but when I try that I seem to get only contacts that I've synced with the iSync connector.[/quote]

Well for starters the GAL is dynamic, plus the idea is to not have people query & download a 50k user address list and have it fall into the wrong hands!

There used to be Bug 14120 - GAL access through isync > Bug 18172 - RFE:- Global Address Book Should be available as a Directory in Mac Address Book.

(the outlook connector is a little different and does setup GAL)

[quote user="michel young"]

So how do I have either iSync get access to the Global Address Book? Is there a config on the server that needs to be completed to make this happen? If so, please let me know and I'll inform my IT group.[/quote]

Option 1) Setup LDAP access to the GAL in Apple's Address Book. Mind the old screenshot...you'll need to guess/get the search base from your IT dept:

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/9947 ... dapaf6.png />
Option 2) using the web-client make yourself an address book called 'StaticGAL' > run searches for . after you select 'global address book' from the main search bar (everyone has a . in their name I assume) > then drag contacts to your personal address book (StaticGAL). Thus, you can now sync that 'Static GAL' in iSync :)

[quote user="michel young"]

One final question (unrelated really) I've got the 4.5.733 version of the isync Mac connector. How do I get the latest version? Again please let me know what I need to tell my IT department.[/quote]

From their admin console downloads section, or via http:// server.domain.com/downloads/index.html
Though that page will obviously tell you if they haven't moved the connectors out of it, to see the version that the server is currently on; you can also enter the below in the main search bar of the advanced (ajax) web-client: $set:get versionAlso note: Shared addressbook access is planned for v5 of the iSync connector.
michel young

Post by michel young »

Thanks for the reply. I'll have to talk to my IT department about the LDAP connection. I hope that they have that open to the internet.
Thanks for the idea on the GAL. I went ahead and did that as a stop gap measure. I can understand the idea behind a dynamic address book. But why not make that part of the syncing software? It would be nice and then I wouldn't have to do the LDAP. Of course the answer is probably because you can't modify the LDAP unless you have permissions, but the GAL should have the same ability.
As for the iSync client, the server (from the http:// server.domain.com/downloads/index.html) page is showing the following package: zimbra-isync-4.5.3_GA_733.MACOSXx86.dmg
This tells me that it's still the older version. I'm guessing IT needs to ask for the latest from Zimbra???

Thanks again for the help,

Michel
jholder
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by jholder »

[quote user="michel young"]Thanks for the reply. I'll have to talk to my IT department about the LDAP connection. I hope that they have that open to the internet.[/quote]
No you don't. Trust me. :)
mmorse
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by mmorse »

The concept of search bases can be tricky for some, not knowing ou= dc= etc, etc - I mearly was saying just ask them if you need help. ;)

Though, you could certainly show us a screen shot of the options/blanks available to you for setting up an ldap search in your mac address book, and we could take a stab at what you need to enter where.

[quote user="michel young"]But why not make that part of the syncing software? It would be nice and then I wouldn't have to do the LDAP.[/quote]

Certainly file a new RFE in bugzilla if you'd like; I'm sure there's a strong reason why this isn't done right now that the iSync engineers could give you.

(Keep in mind that Zimbra employees don't have to use the forums, it's purely volunteering when they do; but one might jump in and explain. You'll find the forum experience here waaay more helpful than other company forums that have no sense of community interaction :)

[quote user="michel young"]zimbra-isync-4.5.3_GA_733.MACOSXx86.dmg

This tells me that it's still the older version. I'm guessing IT needs to ask for the latest from Zimbra???[/quote]

Just, don't bash 'em too hard :D -they may be quite busy with all sorts of other things! (& I have no clue how big your organization is) but yup, current is 4.5.9

4.5.3 is really only 8 months back (PMWeb release 4.5) To most in the forums that tends to seem like a long time, but we still get plenty of people running v4.0 or v3 for whatever reason. Some just aren't aware of the cool new stuff, haven't had a demand or need to upgrade, and sometimes have just taken over a department from someone else etc.