Migration Options

Looking to migrate to ZCS? Ask here. Got a great tip or script that helped you migrate? Post it here.
yellowhousejake
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:57 am

Migration Options

Postby yellowhousejake » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:35 pm

Good day,

I am in process of replacing our Zimbra 8.0.7 installation with a new box running Ubuntu 16 and Zimbra 8.8.9. While we are perfectly happy with 8.0.7, it is no longer covered by our paid support. I have read through the forums and wiki articles and, as always, consulted everything written by AJCody. I still have some questions I cannot find answers to.

Obviously, is there a preferred migration method? It seems several options from REST, to backups, to zmztozmig are used with success by others. But there is no "Official" supported method that I could find.

What will happen with HSM? We recently began using HSM and it is working well. When I migrate the mailboxes will HSM begin a large run that night or will the messages be stored in the proper HSM volume on the new server during migration?

I made all the required changes for SSL to enable us to get an A+ grade at SSL Labs (now down to B because of AEAD). Will the 8.8.9 version pass SSL testing after install, or will I need to make modifications again?

Thanks for any suggestions.

DAve


phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador
Posts: 25665
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:56 pm

Re: Migration Options

Postby phoenix » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:27 pm

Use the ZeXtras Migration Tool, it's the easiest method for moving to a new server.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

If you'd like to see this implemented in a future version of ZCS then please vote on Bugzilla entries 97706 & 108168
yellowhousejake
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:57 am

Re: Migration Options

Postby yellowhousejake » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:45 pm

phoenix wrote:Use the ZeXtras Migration Tool, it's the easiest method for moving to a new server.


Does anyone know how Zimbra paid support feels about third party apps? I have been stuck in the "It's your vendor. No, it's the app." merry go round before. I am not knocking ZeXtras or Zimbra, but I have been left with no support on another product and it was not a good time.

DAve
User avatar
L. Mark Stone
Elite member
Elite member
Posts: 1822
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:35 am
Location: Portland, Maine
ZCS/ZD Version: 8.8.8 Patch 6 Network Edition
Contact:

Re: Migration Options

Postby L. Mark Stone » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:51 pm

yellowhousejake wrote:
phoenix wrote:Use the ZeXtras Migration Tool, it's the easiest method for moving to a new server.


Does anyone know how Zimbra paid support feels about third party apps? I have been stuck in the "It's your vendor. No, it's the app." merry go round before. I am not knocking ZeXtras or Zimbra, but I have been left with no support on another product and it was not a good time.

DAve


If you have Network Edition, the ZeXtras apps are now included in NE, rebranded slightly as NG (Backup NG, Mobile NG, etc.).

I have been with Support on this a number of times, and installing the full ZeXtras Suite using a Trial License on your old server to perform a side-by-side migration is fully supported.

No worries on this!

Mark
___________________________________
L. Mark Stone
Mission Critical Email - Zimbra VAR/BSP/Training Partner https://www.missioncriticalemail.com/
Zeta Alliance http://www.zetalliance.org/
yellowhousejake
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:57 am

Re: Migration Options

Postby yellowhousejake » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:26 pm

L. Mark Stone wrote:
If you have Network Edition, the ZeXtras apps are now included in NE, rebranded slightly as NG (Backup NG, Mobile NG, etc.).

I have been with Support on this a number of times, and installing the full ZeXtras Suite using a Trial License on your old server to perform a side-by-side migration is fully supported.

No worries on this!

Mark


Thank you for the info, it is good to know. I will start reading up on ZeXtras as we do have the NE edition.

Still curious if anyone has migrated when using HSM volumes and if anyone has checked the SSL configuration against third party testing.

DAve
User avatar
L. Mark Stone
Elite member
Elite member
Posts: 1822
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:35 am
Location: Portland, Maine
ZCS/ZD Version: 8.8.8 Patch 6 Network Edition
Contact:

Re: Migration Options

Postby L. Mark Stone » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:56 pm

I get A+ on the Qualys SSL labs test with just a few minor tweaks no problem.

As re HSM volumes, I recall that at one point there was an issue with this, but that it had been fixed. Of the migrations I’ve done this year, none have had HSM issues.

Mark
___________________________________
L. Mark Stone
Mission Critical Email - Zimbra VAR/BSP/Training Partner https://www.missioncriticalemail.com/
Zeta Alliance http://www.zetalliance.org/

Return to “Migration”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests