Zimbra 9 - FOSS

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
rosch
Advanced member
Advanced member
ZCS/ZD Version: 9.0.0.ZEXTRAS.20220713.UBUNTU20.64

Re: Zimbra 9 - FOSS

Post by rosch »

No news for Ubuntu 20.04 yet?
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

rosch wrote:No news for Ubuntu 20.04 yet?
Zimbra is not, at the moment, building the OSS version 9 of Zimbra - I'd suggest you take a look at the Zextras site/forums/wiki.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
H_Rocky

Post by H_Rocky »

I build from git as I build with the current patch (now p27). Is it enough if I build it from the develop branch?
ianw1974
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by ianw1974 »

My scripts are building fine for Ubuntu 20.04 now. Well, the build worked fine previously, it was just missing packages from repos when attempting to install later that was the issue. This was resolved by Zimbra though. New builds here freshly done today: https://linuxsolutions.org - different URL as the old one is offline, but site pretty much the same as what it was before.
ianw1974
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by ianw1974 »

@H_Rocky yes the develop branch gives you the latest. I used to allow my scripts to build from tags, however it was very hit-and-miss in terms of stability, so it's always best to build from the develop branch.
bulletxt
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by bulletxt »

ianw1974 wrote:@H_Rocky yes the develop branch gives you the latest. I used to allow my scripts to build from tags, however it was very hit-and-miss in terms of stability, so it's always best to build from the develop branch.
Hi Ian
just to know, will you keep getting zimbra 9 updated? Do you actually need this for your work or are you doing this as hobby ? Should we rely on your builds?

Thanks!
ianw1974
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by ianw1974 »

Hi,

I plan to build once per quarter. I'm doing this more of a hobby and giving back to the community. Either the builds can be downloaded, or people can build using the helper scripts I provided which effectively is a run the script and wait for it to be generated. So even if for some reason in the future, my own personal builds aren't accessible, it can still be created by the use of the build scripts.

The site is behind a CDN, and the builds are propagated globally, so you'll download them fast from your nearest location. This also means my webserver isn't overloaded and ends up dying or running out of bandwidth if too many people try at once.
bmunger

Post by bmunger »

ianw1974 wrote:Hi,

I plan to build once per quarter. I'm doing this more of a hobby and giving back to the community. Either the builds can be downloaded, or people can build using the helper scripts I provided which effectively is a run the script and wait for it to be generated. So even if for some reason in the future, my own personal builds aren't accessible, it can still be created by the use of the build scripts.

The site is behind a CDN, and the builds are propagated globally, so you'll download them fast from your nearest location. This also means my webserver isn't overloaded and ends up dying or running out of bandwidth if too many people try at once.
I'm unsure to really understand the implications. Is this going to be a path for upgrades once the support for 8.8.15 from Synacor expires?

I'm running a small server at home with only my family using accounts so far and do not want to subscribe to a network edition for home use. I used to have a simple email server before Zimbra and can return to that with other package(s) to complement, but I'd rather stick to the same path and avoid all the config headaches.

If I understand, you are alone, no support from the programmers' community to build Zimbra 9 binaries out of the source code?

It seems odd that there is no gathering of forces to branch an open source Zimbra for the future...

It looked really busy on the forums and I'm surprised that this Open Source project goes to a dead end...

Bernard
ianw1974
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by ianw1974 »

bmunger wrote:
ianw1974 wrote:Hi,
I'm unsure to really understand the implications. Is this going to be a path for upgrades once the support for 8.8.15 from Synacor expires?

I'm running a small server at home with only my family using accounts so far and do not want to subscribe to a network edition for home use. I used to have a simple email server before Zimbra and can return to that with other package(s) to complement, but I'd rather stick to the same path and avoid all the config headaches.

If I understand, you are alone, no support from the programmers' community to build Zimbra 9 binaries out of the source code?

It seems odd that there is no gathering of forces to branch an open source Zimbra for the future...

It looked really busy on the forums and I'm surprised that this Open Source project goes to a dead end...

Bernard
Check Zimbra EOL here: https://www.zimbra.com/support/support- ... lifecycle/ both 8.8.15 and 9.0 end on the same date. That said, Zimbra 10 shows as being available, although there are no Network Edition downloads for it yet, so looks like perhaps it hasn't been released yet. Either way, it should also be possible to build that was well sometime soon.

There are other versions, Zextras has Carbonio Community Edition which has a team of people behind it. My builds were purely to offer Zimbra as it was previously when Zimbra provided the OSE/FOSS edition. I have no wish to fork it, rebrand it or whatever like Zextras have done since I am just one person and I simply don't have the time for such a workload. How long my builds are available depends on the Zimbra Build repositories being accessible, and versions being published via that. If that stops, then my builds stop also. People can also use my scripts and build for themselves, but again, it relies on the Zimbra build repositories for it to work.

There are quite a few options, depending on how you want to proceed, be it a paid version of Zimbra, Zextras Carbonio, or one of my Zimbra OSE-type builds. There might even be other people doing the same that I personally don't know about.
rosch
Advanced member
Advanced member
ZCS/ZD Version: 9.0.0.ZEXTRAS.20220713.UBUNTU20.64

Post by rosch »

End of general support on 31/12/2023 for Zimbra 9 is early, wft?
Anyway, I thank Ian for his efforts.

ps: how to reference a user in this forum? E.g. @ianw1974