Unable to view attachment file in mail log

General discussion about Zimbra Desktop.
kpuri1606

Unable to view attachment file in mail log

Post by kpuri1606 »

When we received email to Zimbra from any other domain besides zimbra, we are able to see the attchment in email and it is opening as expected. In addition, we can verify from log what attachments were sent and came through as expected. However, if i want to review that attachments through log in '/opt/zimbra/log/mailbox.log' or /var/log/maillog , it just shows size of the attachment but not the details such as name of file and included attachment with the incoming emails.

Example of incoming mail fro other domain to our mailserver.
2023-03-23 12:43:42,785 INFO [LmtpServer-1149] [ip=192.168.xxx.xxxx;] lmtp - Delivering message: size=3000312 bytes, nrcpts=3, sender=rxxxxxx@mercantile.com.np, msgid=<xxxxxxxx@mercantile.com.np>

I reviewed the logs for outgoing mail, and i was able to see details of attchment in /opt/zimbra/log/mailbox.log. FOr example, i saw these details for outgoing mails attachment.

Example of outgoing mail which shows name of tje attachment.

FileUploadServlet - Received plain: Upload: { accountId=xxxxxxxxxxx, time=Thu Mar 23 11:17:30 NPT 2023, size=885409, uploadId=bxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, name=SDNG PIC.zip, path=/opt/zimbra/data/tmp/upload/upload_884f213a_216b_479b_b638_ce10f4a60d20_00028830.tmp }

I am wondering why i am not able to see the same details for incoming mails from other domains. I am trying to get name, uploadid, etc...

We are trying to find the reoslution beacuse it can be a big security risks if we can not verify attachments coming through from our logs.

If this has already been answered before, kindly point me to that discussion. If not any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance !!
ronaldenciso

Re: Unable to view attachment file in mail log

Post by ronaldenciso »

Hello,geometry dash lite I think you should enable debug logging: You can try enabling debug logging for the Zimbra mail server. This can provide more detailed information about the incoming emails, including attachment details. To enable debug logging, you can modify the log level for the relevant components in the log configuration files. For example, you can set the log level to DEBUG for the LMTP server component responsible for handling incoming emails. Hope that my suggested solution is useful for you :D
saket.patel
Zimbra Employee
Zimbra Employee

Re: Unable to view attachment file in mail log

Post by saket.patel »

The log line you are seeing for FileUploadServlet is related to attachment upload functionality of Zimbra, so if user is uploading an attachment in mail then the log will appear, it isn't related to mail send actually, even if you just upload attachment and don't send mail then log line will appear.
But in case of incoming mail, attachments are part of email and doesn't get processed by FileUploadServlet and hence you are not seeing the logs.
If you want to get attachment details then you can try to increase log level for clamav or spamassassin which will parse incoming mails with all attachments. But I am not sure about this.