[SOLVED] The end of Zimbra? update to 10 is impossible and 8 and 9 goes eol shortly ....

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
L. Mark Stone
Ambassador
Ambassador
ZCS/ZD Version: 10.0.7 Network Edition

Re: The end of Zimbra? update to 10 is impossible and 8 and 9 goes eol shortly ....

Post by L. Mark Stone »

davidkillingsworth wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 7:16 am I just saw the notification on the email newsletter of the latest blog announcement today. I hadn't noticed the announcement in early April.

Zimbra 9.0.0 End of General Support: 03/31/2024
Zimbra 8.8.15 End of General Support: 12/31/2023

7 months is what you give us?

I have been setting up Zimbra servers and managing them for clients for 12 years. I still manage several of them because the products works well and we have the skills to support it. I have contributed significantly to this support forum and I have reported and commented on many bugs, back in the day when you could. I have commented on many of the blog posts. I have like I have contributed to this project in a constructive way.

This EOL announcement is very very frustrating. This feels like a huge slap in the face. I just have to ask WHY?
  • There is no clear upgrade path from 8.8.15. All of our servers are running 8.8.15.
  • They haven't even announced a community edition version of 10 yet.
  • Many times updates / patches have broken servers during the upgrade process over the past 4 or 5 years. To the point where I spool mail at a 3rd party gateway, take a full backup of my server, and then do the upgrades and thoroughly test before even applying small patches because I don't trust the updates not to break things. The product is not QA tested well.
  • They removed the ability for the community edition public (non Network version) to report and comment on bugs anymore. Please bring that back so that we can help improve the product.
  • I don't know how long 10 has been out, but I can't imagine that it has been thoroughly tested in production environments very long.
Even if we migrate to another product, only giving us 7 months is just a terrible way about going about things.

I would really like to continue using this product and recommending it to clients, but why should I trust Synacor after this.
Hi David,

We both go back with Zimbra for more than a decade, and I share your frustration about the lack of clarity/maturity around the various upgrade paths to Zimbra 10 available to us.

I've never been an apologist for Zimbra but as an active participant on the weekly Zeta calls I thought it might be helpful to provide what clarity I can, based on what I've been given to understand from Zimbra directly.

Upgrade Paths are documented here (https://zimbra.github.io/documentation/ ... grade.html) and here (https://zimbra.github.io/documentation/ ... grade.html). In-place upgrades when you have the NG modules installed are not supported, but there is a switch for the installer to do so if you wish. If you run the Zimbra 10 installer on a system with NG installed, the installer will disclose the switch to you. There is a Rolling Upgrade for NG migrations process that is IMHO confusingly documented, and on yesterday's Zeta Alliance call several other partners communicated that they too were unclear on the process as described in the documentation. Zimbra have agreed to update the documentation.

I totally agree the whole upgrade process documentation is happening way too late. I think many of us were also thinking (gambling?) that Zimbra would just extend the End of General Support dates, like they did for 8.6 and 8.7.11, to make sure customers had enough time to migrate. I'm seeing greater pushback from Zimbra whenever I've brought that up this time around FWIW.

Community Edition. For the benefit of others newer to Zimbra, Zimbra stopped producing Open Source Edition binaries starting with version 9. However, the zm-build scripts work with both Zimbra 9 and Zimbra 10. The annoyance is you have to rebuild Zimbra each time a patch comes out, because the patch packages have Network Edition dependencies. My personal speculation is that there is insufficient product differentiation between OSE and NE, and since as compared to other open source projects that have a much higher level of code commits from the community (which lowers development costs), to stay in business Zimbra needs revenues to feed the bottom line.

No one I know inside of Zimbra is a fan of "crippleware", but I have seen other open source companies release the free version of their software with scaling limitations, and I have suggested that to Zimbra as a quid pro quo to begin releasing OSE binaries once more. I want Zimbra to make money and build market share, and certainly the case studies around Citrix open sourcing Xen Server and losing lots of money have served as a warning shot across the bow to many open source-derived software companies.

Patches. Yup. Zimbra's recent track record at producing consistently regression-free patches need significant improvement. An on-premises professional services customer of mine last night applied the latest patch, Zimbra restarted fine but the proxy service couldn't talk to the mailbox service (single server). Support wound up doing an in-place upgrade to the same version (didn't solve the issue) and then backing out a jar file or two to the previous versions (which did work). It's a pretty vanilla system; it all got escalated and the customer expects to hear back today on next steps. I would also say the Patch Release Notes could use improvements as well. The first release of the 8.8.15 notes had significant formatting issues (one still there as of this morning) and links to internal-only web sites. The links were fixed as of this morning.

Community Edition Feedback. It seems to have all moved to Git Hub. I created a Git Hub account, pointed out an obvious error in the LDAP MMR multi-server installation guide, and last I looked the request still wasn't acted on. The good news is pm.zimbra.com is back! So we can at least get some visibility into what's being developed, and make suggestions on the road map. But, pm.zimbra.com is NOT meant to be a bug reporting avenue. What I've told other OSE customers is that if you spot a bug that you can document and reproduce consistently, send me a PM and I'll open a Support Case on my account for the bug.

Zimbra 10 History. Zimbra 10 was released as Early Access in the Fall of 2022, and went GA this spring. Oversimplifying for clarity, probably to the point of some inaccuracy, Zimbra 10 is pretty much Zimbra 9 with the NG bits removed and replaced by Zimbra-native code--code that's mostly been around and deployed with Zimbra's own customers sometimes for years. Zimbra has had an S3 connector for years as I understand it. The Zimbra 10 backups are the proven NE Classic backups that have been in the product for years, with some enhancements. Delegated Admin is also what has been in the product for many years, enhanced with more Wizards in the Admin Console for common delegated admin roles that previously were a PITA to create by hand (I have a blog post for creating password-change-only delegated admins that gets a hundred or so hits each month). The mobile management bits I believe are the newest, largest blocks of functional code, but even that I have been given to understand has been deployed at Zimbra customer sites for a while. I personally am frustrated that Zimbra 10 was released without Ubuntu 22.04 binaries being available, but I'm given to understand those are coming "soon". And I'm holding off my Zimbra 10 migration until then as well.

Again personally, I will be glad when Zimbra 10 is the only game in town, so the developers have fewer code repos to maintain, build and test. I'd like to believe that in that "new regime", we should see improvements in documentation, regression-free patch releases etc. If we don't, as you say, customers will go elsewhere.

But the route to get to Zimbra 10 is much less smooth than it could/should be. Hopefully we'll see some improvements over the next month or two.

All the best,
Mark
oetiker
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member
ZCS/ZD Version: Release 10.0.6.GA.4518.UBUNTU20_64

Re: The end of Zimbra? update to 10 is impossible and 8 and 9 goes eol shortly ....

Post by oetiker »

Hi

I think it is important to inform customers about the progress of the development. Since 102 days no sign of anything
Except please wait ... we will inform you ... there are only 187 days left to migrate ...

Last updated 2023-03-17 15:50:55 +0530
In-place upgrade of Multi-Node and Single-Node setup with NG Modules is not supported.
https://zimbra.github.io/documentation/ ... grade.html
rainer_d
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by rainer_d »

According to Zimbra Support, the migration tool is still not GA.
GEOptic
ZCS/ZD Version: 8.8.15

Post by GEOptic »

Good Day Ladies, Gentlemen,

Same kind of thoughts here. No easy way to upgrade 8.8.15 to 10. Although Support helped us build a test Daffodil upgrade (1 to 3 servers), I wouldn't go in production.

We wanted to continue with Zimbra, but we cannot afford such a short time for migration to a product that users don't really like (GUI) and has less (or less stable) features then NG (Zextras).
I think that Zextras should have been bought by Zimbra. Then team work to "compete" with O365 and Google Workspace.

Moving to O365 really soon. :arrow:
oetiker
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member
ZCS/ZD Version: Release 10.0.6.GA.4518.UBUNTU20_64

Post by oetiker »

WOW,

time for a new Website https://info.zimbra.com/coming-soon-new ... ra-website

But 4.5 Month till the end of Zimbra 8.8.15 and no official way for the upgrade to the supported Version https://zimbra.github.io/documentation/ ... grade.html for single node with NG installation. It is unbelievable.... :oops:
dbayer
Advanced member
Advanced member
ZCS/ZD Version: Zimbra 10.0.5

Post by dbayer »

At the very least, the EOL should be extended out.

But I would much prefer an upgrade path!
mcdaniels

Post by mcdaniels »

Well, I would like to attend here. As someone who has really invested a lot of argumenting (townhall-admin / Government) not to migrate to Microsoft M365, using Kopano at the moment, because of dataprotection and mainly to NOT give our data into a cloud, no one really knows. We are using Zarafa/Kopano for 8 years+ now and have to switch to another product, cause rumours go around, that there are some massive troubles coming up. (Support, productdevelopment...)

As you might have notices MS had a massive security-breach in the beginning of July. In short: stolen masterkey, no communication what really happened, users have to care about themself and see whether their data also was part of the hack, not providing a clear description how to check things and so on. To be honest its a NO GO for me to use the MS-Cloudservices for our collab-suite!

We will migrate to Zimbra next year.

So please Synacor dont let that be a bad decision. All my argumenting (for Zimbra) will look a little weird, if it comes out, that we will have to go the M365-path cause of that. (No clear statement of Synacor, missing upgrade path, not so good QA of patches).

Well I know, we will start with Daffodil (10) and don't have the migration-pain, but what I read here, reads not very promising. (no offense, but I am really worrying now) :?
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

mcdaniels wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 5:50 am We will migrate to Zimbra next year.
I'd suggest you also take a look at Carbonio from ZEXTRAS: https://community.zextras.com/zextras-carbonio/
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
mcdaniels

Post by mcdaniels »

phoenix wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 8:40 am
mcdaniels wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 5:50 am We will migrate to Zimbra next year.
I'd suggest you also take a look at Carbonio from ZEXTRAS: https://community.zextras.com/zextras-carbonio/
Well we will need a lokal supporter for this and there is no local supporter for Carbonio. We do a lot of stuff, Hardware, Software, Network, Server, Firewall, Linux, Security, but we also would like to have someone in the "backhand" if things go bad and we get stuck.

For Carbonio there is simply no supporter (technical) here.

Do you really think, zimbra is going to crash against the wall?
leading zero
ZCS/ZD Version: 10.0.3

Post by leading zero »

mcdaniels wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 5:50 amAs someone who has really invested a lot of argumenting [..] not to migrate to Microsoft M365
I second this sentiment. Pressure to "just move to M365" is definitely there and in our company, it very recently took some convincing to go the on-prem / Zimbra route instead.
Luckily for me, Microsoft are more and more making fools of themselves. There was another stunning, but pretty much ignored, security f*ckup discovered at the beginning of this year.
And then there were several outages due to either misconfigurations or DDoS attacks in the first half of this year too.
All this goes to demonstrate how fragile such an extraordinarily complex infrastructure like Microsoft's cloud usually is, even more so if it's constantly targeted by skilled attackers from all around the globe.

Still, it's not really helping the case for us Zimbra advocates if Synacor don't get their act together :)
We're a software company too, and I know how things go sometimes. I'm still hopeful.