[SOLVED] The end of Zimbra? update to 10 is impossible and 8 and 9 goes eol shortly ....

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
dominix
Advanced member
Advanced member
ZCS/ZD Version: 7.2.7 ... 8.8.15 ... 9.0.0

Re: The end of Zimbra? update to 10 is impossible and 8 and 9 goes eol shortly ....

Post by dominix »

we are many in such situation, yes please provide a clear path to migration 8.8.15 -> 10.
On my side a dozen of servers in 8.8 and 9, and that a bit of pressure on us as well.
mattg1
ZCS/ZD Version: RHEL7_64 NETWORK, Patch 8.8.15_P41

Re: The end of Zimbra? update to 10 is impossible and 8 and 9 goes eol shortly ....

Post by mattg1 »

Isn't 8.8.15 flagged as LTS? Why would it be unsupported at this point?
saket.patel
Zimbra Employee
Zimbra Employee

Post by saket.patel »

It's slated to be unsupported from 31st Dec 2023, please check more details in https://www.zimbra.com/support/support- ... lifecycle/
Klug
Ambassador
Ambassador
ZCS/ZD Version: All of them

Post by Klug »

Because they said so: https://www.zimbra.com/support/support- ... lifecycle/

The question could be asked another way: "if 8.8.15 that is the current LTS gets EOL at the end of the year, what is the new LTS then (that should be flagged as LTS now)?"

Or if not using a question but a statement : "as the current LTS get EOL at the end of the year, there is (currently) no other LTS for Zimbra NE".
gabrieles
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by gabrieles »

Maybe it's just a bump, but I think that many of us are in the same situation, and have the same fears.
Just because we wait silently the next updated doesn't mean that we're not worried.
We support MANY installations. Most are multiserver (from 10 to 100) on 8.8.15, seven or eight are on 9.0.0 and are regretting it.
It is merely impossibile to test every single feature from here to december, so we are testing at least the most common rolling updates 8.8.15->10 and 9.0.0->10
But aside of the technical problems of a migration, the customers want reliable informations.
oetiker
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member
ZCS/ZD Version: Release 10.0.6.GA.4518.UBUNTU20_64

Post by oetiker »

Hi

Is there still no Single-Node Upgrade Path? We will update you soon. (3 Month is far from soon)
https://zimbra.github.io/documentation/ ... grade.html
There are only 7 Month left!

viewtopic.php?t=71921 no news here.

Time gets really short ... I can't understand Zimbra ... This is business and not just a fun hobby topic! :oops:
rainer_d
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by rainer_d »

I recently inquired Zimbra about this.

They are still working on the tooling to be able to upgrade Multi-Server NG installs to 10.

I hope they will at least have an ETA at the end of June.

I don't believe they are sitting on their hands (or twiddling thumbs...) but I assume there are a lot of edge-cases and they don't want to create support nightmares...
oetiker
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member
ZCS/ZD Version: Release 10.0.6.GA.4518.UBUNTU20_64

Post by oetiker »

I have no problem with that, and I'm sure Zimbra is working hard on the topic ...

But first setting the working Version on EOL and then developing an upgrade path in the hope being
ready before the EOL of the working versions. Is stage...

I just learned from (shruti.gupta) that this is normal ...
Have you seen the Known Issues on https://wiki.zimbra.com/wiki/Zimbra_Releases/10.0.1
... Exchange ActiveSync protocol currently does not support Read-Only permission sharing.
Last edited by oetiker on Tue May 30, 2023 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shruti.gupta
Zimbra Employee
Zimbra Employee

Post by shruti.gupta »

Using NG module in zimbra too, you cannot share read only permissions folder using activesync exchange protocol.
In Zimbra 10, you can still share and sync read only permissions folder but it is better advised not to do so to avoid sync issues.
Please see known issues in https://zimbra.github.io/adminguide/lat ... ed-folders using 9.0.0 release of zimbra using NG miodule.
...It’s not possible to sync a read-only share, as the Exchange ActiveSync protocol does not envision the concept of a read-only resource
davidkillingsworth
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member
ZCS/ZD Version: 8.8.15.GA.3869.UBUNTU14.64-Patch 24

Post by davidkillingsworth »

I just saw the notification on the email newsletter of the latest blog announcement today. I hadn't noticed the announcement in early April.

Zimbra 9.0.0 End of General Support: 03/31/2024
Zimbra 8.8.15 End of General Support: 12/31/2023

7 months is what you give us?

I have been setting up Zimbra servers and managing them for clients for 12 years. I still manage several of them because the products works well and we have the skills to support it. I have contributed significantly to this support forum and I have reported and commented on many bugs, back in the day when you could. I have commented on many of the blog posts. I have like I have contributed to this project in a constructive way.

This EOL announcement is very very frustrating. This feels like a huge slap in the face. I just have to ask WHY?
  • There is no clear upgrade path from 8.8.15. All of our servers are running 8.8.15.
  • They haven't even announced a community edition version of 10 yet.
  • Many times updates / patches have broken servers during the upgrade process over the past 4 or 5 years. To the point where I spool mail at a 3rd party gateway, take a full backup of my server, and then do the upgrades and thoroughly test before even applying small patches because I don't trust the updates not to break things. The product is not QA tested well.
  • They removed the ability for the community edition public (non Network version) to report and comment on bugs anymore. Please bring that back so that we can help improve the product.
  • I don't know how long 10 has been out, but I can't imagine that it has been thoroughly tested in production environments very long.
Even if we migrate to another product, only giving us 7 months is just a terrible way about going about things.

I would really like to continue using this product and recommending it to clients, but why should I trust Synacor after this.