How to remove HSM NG from zimbra 8.8.15

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
oetiker
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member
ZCS/ZD Version: Release 10.0.6.GA.4518.UBUNTU20_64

How to remove HSM NG from zimbra 8.8.15

Post by oetiker »

hi

NG tools are the big showstopper on the way to Zimbra 10, mobile sync, admin delegation and backup is not heavily used
in my case, but HSM .... so I would like to remove the NG tools from my running zimbra 8.8.15 before I upgrade to 10.

Has anybody a procedure for the removing of NG HSM
rnilam24
Zimbra Employee
Zimbra Employee

Re: How to remove HSM NG from zimbra 8.8.15

Post by rnilam24 »

Can you provide more details on what kind of setup you've i.e. single node or multinode? Based on that we can suggest you migration method which can export your NG HSM policies and settings and then you can upgrade to 10.0.
oetiker
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by oetiker »

rnilam24 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:29 am Can you provide more details on what kind of setup you've i.e. single node or multinode? Based on that we can suggest you migration method which can export your NG HSM policies and settings and then you can upgrade to 10.0.
I have a single node installation and like to stay on 8.8.15 without NG Modules for some time before I start with the upgrade to 10, It looks like
there are a lot of unsolved buggy bits in 10, and I still hope Zimbra is moving the EOL to the future.
gabrieles
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by gabrieles »

What are you using as HSM secondary volume? local or something other like s3/ceph.... ?
oetiker
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by oetiker »

gabrieles wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:58 am What are you using as HSM secondary volume? local or something other like s3/ceph.... ?
I'm using local storage ....
oetiker
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by oetiker »

I opened up a Zimbra Support Ticket...
keep you posted.....
BradC
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by BradC »

I ran up a test system (VM) here. Started on V9 and provisioned a second local volume on NFS. Then used NG HSM to dump ~50% of the storage there and did a de-dupe.

I then upgraded that from V9 to V10 using --skip-ng-check and the existing secondary HSM volume remained in place. zmblobchk showed everything was still where it's supposed to be and accessible. The HSM policy transferred across also (although it was pretty simple).
oetiker
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by oetiker »

Hi,

Thanks for doing that test, I just do not understand what is the difference between a normal Zimbra Volumes and a HSM NG Volumes
except the policy

Cheers Manuel
oetiker
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by oetiker »

:roll: take your time ... there is still month to go till EOL of Zimbra 8 :shock:

Answer from Zimbra Support: (Case 01501378)

Subject: Uninstall Network Modules NG without losing any data in a single node Server running Zimbra 8.8.15p40

First Answer:
Hello Team,
Thanks for contacting Zimbra Support.
I am afraid to say that for the single server setup environment we don't have migration tool ready.
You need to wait for it and once it is available as BETA then you can try it in your test environment first before applying directly to the production.
Looking forward to hear from you.
Thanks,
Second Answer:
Hello,
Thanks for the update.
I acknowledge your inquiry, and unfortunately, it is not feasible to uninstall the NG modules on the single server node and revert to using the legacy HSM.
We kindly request your patience until the migration tool is released for the single server. Once it becomes available, you will be able to upgrade your server to ZCS 10, where all the legacy modules can be utilized.
We eagerly await your response.
Thanks,