The backup and restore doc, is it complete?

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
zim_mike
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

The backup and restore doc, is it complete?

Post by zim_mike »

I have a centos 6.9 running zimbra 8.8.4 and I obviously need to upgrade that server.
I'd like to replace this server with a fresh rocky 9 for example.

https://wiki.zimbra.com/wiki/How_to_mov ... her_server

The steps in the above seem pretty straight forward but there's something that makes me very nervous.
What about all of the tiny changes I've made over the years in some files and adding the acme script etc.
When I copy the old files over, will all this also work as it does now or will I have to figure out all the little nuances that were done over the years as well.
When I say file, I don't necessarily mean zimbra files but other OS files that had to be edited to fix one problem or another. While I realize that editing files isn't a good solution, over many years of running this server, some suggestions did include changing some zimbra and os files.
zimbra900
ZCS/ZD Version: 10.0.4 FOSS

Re: The backup and restore doc, is it complete?

Post by zimbra900 »

Yes, copying /opt/zimbra should work for reinstall into new server
Klug
Ambassador
Ambassador
ZCS/ZD Version: All of them

Post by Klug »

Not that way.

You need to have the same Zimbra version installed on both servers (source and destination).
You cannot copy all folders this way (LDAP data cannot be copied this way), you have to update binaries after the copy (or they will be built for wrong OS), etc.

Read this thread, everything is in it: viewtopic.php?t=69746
I used the method given in the thread on tenths of servers (Centos 6 -> Ubuntu 18, CentOS 6 -> CentOS 7, CentOS 7 -> Ubuntu 18/20, etc) and it just works.
zim_mike
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by zim_mike »

Thanks, I'll check that out then.